Has anyone used Btrfs Assistant before?

Just came across Btrfs Assistant today.
Also found a prior discussion on it.

I’ve been looking for a fuss free GUI way to utilise Btrfs snapshots in my workflow, so definitely interested in what this rpm can do. However, because it naturally will have full access to all my data and would need to be robust and reliable to be of use, I’m asking if anyone else has used this before.

There’s only 1 review and 4 ratings in Discover :sweat_smile:. The Gitlab repo seems active so that’s good. Would be keen to get more reviews and thoughts from the community. Thank you!

1 Like

I am obviously fairly biased and shouldn’t share my opinion but I would be glad to answer any specific questions if there is any additional information you would like to know.

4 Likes

Out of curiosity, I just installed this and as a byproduct learned that I’m supposed to btrfs scrub around once a month! Thanks for teaching me something I should have known, @dalto ! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Scrubbing your disks is a good idea regardless of filesystem because it forces the disk controller to read and correct/relocate/rewrite data that has soft errors (aka bit rotting).

It is built into various things (ex MD RAID: echo check > /sys/block/mdX/md/sync_action), but can be simulated to a certain extend with just a dd if=/dev/XXXX of=/dev/null bs=1M and watching the SMART data. Which should also be done with btrfs scrubbing because media issues may not be detected by a high level filesystem scrub until something actually fails.

Assuming that smartd is running on the machine: journalctl -u smartd|grep "SMART Usage" should report any attribute changes.

1 Like

As an early adopter of BtrFS Assistant, I can tell you it saved me quite a few times. The developer is very responsive and it keeps getting better.
Just remember they only restore snapshots, so it is not a complete backup strategy.
I supplement it with regular Rescuezilla clones.

2 Likes

I’ve been using it since this post and have been very happy with it. TBH, I think it should be something we consider shipping out of the box on Fedora desktop variants.

1 Like

Just to give my update as well, I’ve been using BTRFS Assistant to take snapshots before and after any nvidia driver updates because things tend to get borked more often than not.

I’m able to quickly revert to a prior snapshot or compare stability and performance between different snapshots states very easily with this. So yeah, it works as advertised and just having a GUI to handle this has been great.

2 Likes

Is there the ability to resize a LUKS encrypted btrfs partition to max?

I have a fairly new crucial p5 nvme and it seems anaconda has issues, so I dd-ed my old 1TB to this 2TB one and have free unused space.

Thanks for this cool app!

Btrfs Assistant doesn’t currently support resizing. However, there are other tools such as gparted and KDE Partition Manager which may.

2 Likes

I believe Gnome Disks does as well.

why are there so many duplicates in GNOME / GTK?

• gparted / gnome-disks
  • gedit / gnome-text-editor

Those are not duplicates.!

Even though they do similar – in the case of gparted and similar there are abilities to do partition management (in different ways), & in the case of gedit and similar they are text editors with differing features – they each have unique to them specific features that are not shared with other editors or partition managers.

You might also ask why there are vi, vim, emacs, nano, etc. each of which is a different tool to perform similar tasks but each has its own history, its own development path, and its own special features.

That is really the beauty of OSS. Different developers see a way to perform a task in a way that suits themselves better and they develop it. The rest of us can then pick and choose among the available tools for the one that suits our needs best.

Single source OSes lock the user into doing things exactly as the mfgr specifies (with no options in most cases) ( Think microsoft and apple). OSS leaves us free to choose what works best for us out of the many choices available.

You find what works for you and stick with it. I find something different that may work for me and I stick with that. Both of us are right for our wants and needs.

2 Likes

Yeah for sure, the question mainly was “these where all GNOME apps back then, why did this change?”.

But I suppose the answer is just “GNOME team didnt like them anymore, but some people prefer them better”.

Gnome team develops gnome.
Other developers manage the other apps.
Not all do the same thing and not all even try to keep up with others so as the world turns things change and not all keep up (some may not want to or have retired)

1 Like

Gnome is a community too right, so has many dev’s who are also part of other communities supporting it, like GNU Linux where parted and gparted come from. Indeed the kernel, the kernel utils and system utils we find on most linux distros are GNU Linux based.

1 Like

GNU Linux is a project? I only know GUIX

Since this conversation has significantly wandered offtopic, I’m going to close this one. Please create a new topic if you have a related issue.