Happy "Large Boulder the Size of a Small Boulder" Day to all who celebrate!

2 Likes

This just gets me every time. :grin:

Also, how come there is no :lol: smile? This was the most popular smile on our local students forum, and I was so sure that it is the part of the world’s standard emoji set.

We can add one! What should it look like?

I loved seeing this with the caption, “Americans will literally use anything but the metric system.”

1 Like

I loved seeing this with the caption, “Americans will literally use anything but the metric system.”

I remember reading in one of the Feynman’s books something like: Mathematicians can work with abstract numbers, but physicists need to develop the intuition about the scale of objects they are working with (he generally was trolling mathematicians a lot :slight_smile: )

So he was advocating for putting all numbers like distances and volumes in some kind of context: every time you introduce a new value, put it in comparison with other familiar things. He didn’t advocate for removing the numbers though.

So it would make a lot of sense to write it as - “the boulder 3 meters in diameter, like the width of a car lane, …”. But that boulder title is definitely not what he would expect… :grin:

Tricky question!

In those days it was the animated smiley rolling on the floor. And I can not find it anywhere, so I guess it was either local or some old proprietary creation, which didn’t survive the test of time.

2 Likes

I thought the one rolling on the floor was :ROFL:, which is now :rofl:

According to my kids, :LOL: should be :older_man:…

3 Likes

:face_with_thermometer: :fire:

(…you little :japanese_ogre: :troll: :vampire: :imp:)