gui1ty/Bottles

Description

Easily manage Wine prefix in a new way! (Run Windows software and games on Linux).

This is a work in progress repository for getting Bottles and its dependencies packaged for Fedora

Use at your own risk!

Installation Instructions

Instructions not filled in by author. Author knows what to do. Everybody else should avoid this repo.

Active Releases

The following unofficial repositories are provided as-is by owner of this project. Contact the owner directly for bugs or issues (IE: not bugzilla).

Release Architectures Repo Download Fedora rawhide x86_64 (0)* Fedora rawhide (0 downloads)

* Total number of packages downloaded in the last seven days.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/gui1ty/Bottles/

Hi! The package is currently (2.20230225git51.5) broken of f38 because of a Gtk4 change:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/bottles/bottles/frontend/windows/main_window.py", line 149, in set_manager
    self.page_details = DetailsView(self)
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/share/bottles/bottles/frontend/views/details.py", line 78, in __init__
    self.view_bottle = BottleView(self, config)
                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/share/bottles/bottles/frontend/views/bottle_details.py", line 163, in __init__
    self.style_provider.load_from_data(b".dragndrop_overlay { background: rgba(41, 65, 94, 0.2);}")
TypeError: Gtk.CssProvider.load_from_data() takes exactly 3 arguments (2 given)

See also fix: GTK4.9 build (#722) · GradienceTeam/Gradience@c5078fa · GitHub for a fix for a similar issue. Changing line 163 to:

self.style_provider.load_from_data(".dragndrop_overlay { background: rgba(41, 65, 94, 0.2);}", -1)

makes it work, but the code has been completely removed since the last release.

Thanks for the information. I discovered this totally by accident going through my Copr repos. I didn’t receive any notification whatsoever.

@mattdm do you know how this works? I saw above comment on the Copr repo front page: gui1ty/bottles Copr Do I need to modify my settings in FMN or in Discourse to receive notifications? It would be nice if the owner of the Copr repo could be tagged to make them aware.

That aside, I will have a look at the fix. Do you happen to know how I can reproduce the exception locally? Did you report the issue upstream as well? That’s where the fix, if still applicable, needs to land in the end.

@gui1ty IIRC it just crashes on start-up on f38. I looked upstream, but the problematic code was deleted in some unrelated change, so it’s gone from there.

I didn’t report it because it’s gone, and also because I don’t think the maintainers care about anything else besides the Flatpak version.

Unrelated, I ran into other issues, like the Core tab here crashing:

or errors (OOM?) when downloading some DLL components. Didn’t bother reporting those because I don’t have Flatpak.

IIRC it just crashes on start-up on f38. I looked upstream, but the
problematic code was deleted in some unrelated change, so it’s gone
from there.

I tried the build in f37 and did some basic task like creating a bottle.
It didn’t crash on me. This might be specific to f38.

Since upstream removed the offending code, I guess they are aware of
issues. Might as well wait for the next release. They are usually quite
frequent.

I didn’t report it because it’s gone, and also because I don’t think
the maintainers care about anything else besides the Flatpak
version.

Once we have a working Bottles in Fedora again, I’m planning on talking
to upstream explaining to them what FOSS entails and how other projects
deal with packagers and distros.

We were on the verge of dropping Bottles from Fedora due to the
difficulties with upstream. But there are quite a few people preferring
RPMs over Flatpak.

Unrelated, I ran into other issues, like the Core tab here crashing:

or errors (OOM?) when downloading some DLL components. Didn’t bother
reporting those because I don’t have Flatpak.

Yeah. Most likely upstream wouldn’t accept the issue report unless you
can reproduce in Flatpak. In that case it’s still worth reporting it in
Fedora (Bugzilla), so at least package maintainers are aware.

I’m about to upgrade one of my machines to f38 in the coming days. I
will try to reproduce the issues then.