GUI Package Manager

As a newcomer in Linux from the world of MS WIndows, I have the urge of installing and uninstalling packages using the GUI (though I am fairly comfortable with the “dnf” command). Can anyone please direct me to the simplest or basic GUI Package Manager I can install in Fedora-32. Thank you. (PS. I would not like Wine-based applications. Thank you.)

If you are using the Gnome DE, it is simply the applet called “Software”.

2 Likes

There is a thing called dnfdragora. It’s supposed to be a front-end for dnf.

Not really a package manager, but rather an App Store. You can find only apps there that provide appstream metadata, but not individual packages, say libraries, drivers, or CLI programs.

5 Likes

Also take a look at this:

3 Likes

If you use it to install an application, it installs packages. And, if I recall correctly, it also upgrades already installed packages. I never use it anymore; I just use dnf.

3 Likes

I think the distinction that @florian is trying to indicate is that not all packages will be available in Gnome Software—one still has to use dnf to install a majority of non GUI tools.

3 Likes

Once again, I’m indebted to the vast knowledge of the Fedora Community for the answer given.
@FranciscoD though I’ve read through the Fedora Docs Site, it didn’t meet my requirements as much since I REALLY needed a GUI Package Manager like what @florian porposed, which I’d like to go with.
All the same, I am so grateful for the answers given. Thank you.

3 Likes

Yes, I thought we’d documented dnfdragora there too, but it isn’t included there.

Would anyone like to work on the quick-doc to add it?

1 Like

What does it take to add to the quick-doc?

1 Like

The usual pull request system. Fork the quick-docs repo, make changes, open a pull request, wait for review, then it gets merged.

It’s documented here:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.