Grub2-update can't be installed

and with no uid=1000 or with uid=0. ALso with no gid or with gid=0.

1 Like

That was not for you. That was for the other experts which might be reading along, so if they wish to do so they can reproduce your issue.

A already in a previous post showed what the options are supposed to be in /etc/fstab.

You were asked to provide your /etc/fstab so we can verify if it is corect.

To repeat: the entry in /etc/fstab is

UUID=3056-3376   /boot/efi  vfat umask=0077,shortname=winnt 0 2

with the UUID value matching your own installation.

We would prefer the output of ls -l /boot/efi/EFI.
The groupid of the files in the efi file system is set to :plugdev" which is wrong. It should be “root”.

I see this for my /boot/efi entry in fstab

UUID=EE19-DB5A          /boot/efi               vfat    umask=0077,shortname=winnt 1 1

Notice the difference in the options portion as well as using the UUID and not the LABEL. Mine was done as a default install that configured it that way. I don’t think the LABEL vs UUID is an issue, but the umask, uid, and gid, in those options are.

Having the umask as ‘0’ and ownership as a regular user (like yours) allows everyone to access it and the tools see that as invalid access permissions so prevents it being written to by anything, even root.

I also see this in your /etc/fstab post

LABEL=B_SDB1	/boot/efi 	vfat 	gid=46,uid=1000,umask=0,shortname=winnt 0 2 

LABEL=B_SDB1		/Win/Boot_S	vfat    users,gid=46,umask=0002,codepage=437	0       0

Hallo Villy,
many thanks for all your help, but nothing succeeded. I think, i had a basic error in my fedora, because on seldom occasions I could not even copy a directory to /usr/lib (as root). On the other hand I could login as root without a password. So I decided to reinstall fedora and - heureka - it worked and it seems to work as it should. Again many thanks to all participants and we should close this theme.