Google chrome stable RPM drops an empty repo file

Hey,

I realized that my google chrome (stable) was not updating for years and I was stuck on quite old version (5X). I realized that part of the RPM there is a cron job (/etc/cron.daily/google-chrome) which is supposed to detect and drop yum repo file (/etc/yum.repos.d/google-chrome.repo) but it does not work. Thus my Chrome is not being updated.

Anyone have the same behavior? Shall I report this to Google?

Thanks!

I’m not sure if there are any Google Chrome vanilla users here.
As far as I know, most Linux users prefer Chromium which is an up to date open source version.

You can enable the RPM Fusion repository and install the packages:

sudo dnf install chromium chromium-libs-media-freeworld

Or use an alternative build from the UnitedRPMs repository.

I use Google Chrome, just make the repo manually.

# cat << EOF > /etc/yum.repos.d/google-chrome.repo
[google-chrome]
name=google-chrome
baseurl=http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/x86_64
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=https://dl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub
EOF

Seems a little silly Google is making a cron job.

I also use chrome and with silverblue I just went to the google site downloaded the rpm ver opened it with gnome software and all was set up.On workstation and mate I used what pluto posted then
dnf upgrade
dnf install google-chrome-stable

Don’t use the rpm on Silverblue, you’ll hit an upgrade loop.

For the record I reported this to Google Chrome devs: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=986303

It’s probably a regression, maybe when Fedora switched from YUM to DNF? Let’s see if they confirm this.

I installed Chrome about a year ago and didn’t see anything about a cron job. Maybe since you installed so long ago they may have changed the way they did things. In any event, it probably would be quicker and simpler to just:

  1. dnf remove google-chrome-stable
  2. download a new copy from: https://www.google.com/chrome/

The new install should create the repo file for you. I just did it and it worked fine.

Check to make sure you have backed up your settings, history, etc. to you Google account. If so,
the re-install is fast and painless.

One other thing, if you’re running plasma desktop and had Fx previously installed as your default browser, it can be a bit wonky getting Chrome to be the default. If you have problems, reply and I’ll dig out the procedure. It probably should be documented here on Discourse anyway.