Gnome & Teamviewer on headless Fedora Server (after install)

Hi,

I have installed Fedora Server without a GUI. Since Cockpit leaves me with some CLI when playing with VM’s I think it’s easier to use the GUI tools.

But how to do that?

I have done the following:
Installing Gnome:
$ sudo dnf groupinstall gnome-desktop

Installing Teamviewer:

When doing a:
$ teamviewer -info
I get no Teamviewer ID and the log further down says:
systemd[1]: Starting teamviewerd.service - TeamViewer remote control daemon…
systemd[1]: teamviewerd.service: Can’t open PID file /run/teamviewerd.pid (yet?) after start: No such file or directory

I then ran the
$ sudo teamviewer setup
$ sudo systemctl restart teamviewerd.service

But no difference.

I want to start Gnome remotely using SSH, then start Teamviewer in Gnome and then connect using Teamviewer.

Is that possible remote, only using SSH?

Any help apriciated.

It is best to avoid installing GUI on the server.
Cockpit can be managed remotely with a browser.
libvirt also supports remote client connections.

1 Like

Hi Vladislav,

I know it’s not optimal, but it’s the easiest solution for me.
Also it’s for playing around, not a production server of any kind.

Playing around using a gui in a server environment is much less than optimal.
Easy does not translate to a real learning experience.

The user does not see the same environment that would be used in a real headless server that is not running the gui so they are not likely to learn the same management techniques. The command line is the optimal way to interface with a server so the user gets a real-world environment.

2 Likes

I’ll start by being honest with you: Most people here would use ssh for managing a remote server, or vnc for connecting to a remote desktop so I wouldn’t expect much help on using TeamViewer on Linux.

If you’re running Fedora on your computer and want to mess with Fedora Server in a VM, Fedora comes with Gnome Boxes out of the box (no pun intended). It will let you run servers or a full desktop in a window. If you’re not using Gnome, you can install the virtualization tools from a command line with:

sudo dnf group install virtualization

Then you can use the Virtual Machine Manager to spin up or remove VMs very easily.