Gnome Software upgrade jump to Fedora 2+ releases, Unable to Proceed | Silverblue

Hi!
When i open a silberblue that wasnt upgraded for a while, Gnome software shows GUI upgrade path to the version fedora+2 version, skipping a release (fedora+1), like it is on the workstation.
But on the workstation, clicking upgrade and skipping a release works.
In Silverblue it doesnt.
And a basic user is kind of stuck there, needing to jump in terminal…

Could the Silverblue team have a way to block GUI to show the fedora >> fedora+2 upgrade version in silverblue?

It would be nice and convenient.

From Ask Fedora to Project Discussion

Added silverblue-team and removed gnome, gnome-software, problem, silverblue, upgrades, workstation

Added engineering, problem

From Project Discussion to Ask Fedora

Added gnome-software, silverblue and removed engineering, problem

Can you post what version of Silverblue you are on, and what version the Gnome Software is asking you to upgrade to ?

Also from your post, you are saying the GUI is giving you the latest upgrade, and not incremental like on Workstation ex : F37 > F38 > F39 > F40 ?

I have added a previous post where you bring up a similar question.

Hi!
So for exemple on silverblue 36, now gnome software proposes GUI upgrade to silverble 38, but that is not achievable, so GUI version- upgrade fails.
Same on silverblue 38 showing GUI to silverblue 40 i guess

Do you have layered packages ? I would look into removing those.

Also, for Silverblue making a +2 version release jump should be more practical because you can rebase the upgrade. I cannot test or help much more today due to time, BUT I have Silverblue friends who might be available @boredsquirrel @anon91881872 and others might help you rebase and deploy a newer release.

I will look at the Silverblue docs to see if this is a circumstance we can contribute to more.

Edit

I don’t see instructions for 2 version release jumps like Fedora Workstation, so assuming a standard practice would be to proceed in the same manner as Workstation would F36>F37>F38>F39>F40 . . .

So this is actually a bug in Gnome Software allowing for the 2 release Jump in Silverblue, while it not being a supported operation, upgrade path.

Added bug, gnome

Removed problem

Added rpm-ostree, upgrades and removed silverblue-team

1. GUI software stores are annoying, hide issues and logs
  2. An example is not relevant here, what version of Silverblue are you on?
  3. Unlike on traditional Fedora, upgrading many versions should be no issue on Fedora Atomic Desktops

You do this via a rebase.

Plase first give us the output of rpm-ostree status.

This should contain the version you use. Now for doing the upgrade, you rebase to the current version. This means your OS will now copy a different ostree remote, which is the current one.

This works just like that, it doesnt need a traditional upgrade path.

The whole point is that your local system doesnt matter, you dont need to upgrade packages, it just downloads the new ones and uses them instead.

The only important requirement should be that your system boots and rpm-ostree works.

rpm-ostree rebase fedora:fedora/40/x86_64/silverblue

Reboot and it should be done.

1 Like

Agree. I would be great to report a bug report to GNOME Software.

1 Like

So has an issue been opened at Issues · GNOME / gnome-software · GitLab
I searched but cannot find a related one so it should probably be made by @yusssufff . There are issues for both packagekit and flatpak which may be related I guess but nothing specific to this original topic.

1 Like

Hey everyone,

So if the OP cannot file the bug, I have some bandwidth today to do so. Also make a note in the Quick Docs, more explicitly that this is not a supported feature through the Software Center and that these multi release jumps should be handled by a rebase /deploy.

If you could do it it would be great! I cannot find the time myself soon.
And thank you all for the brainstorming, you are awsome!

1 Like

Yeah sure, Apparently is a Gnome issue? So I assume it would have to be files against Software Center. I’ll update the post here with any relevant info.