Gnome is not working after upgrade from 29 to 30 (dnf)

Hi alciregi
It was extensions@abseil.com
Not sure whether I’ve spelt abseil correctly or not
Hope this helps
PD
BTW - Gnome was still playing up and so I’ve removed all extensions. It’s OK now, but I’m moving on to a new desktop environment

If extensions are causing issues, please do file bugs with their developers. There isnt much the GNOME team can do about it :slightly_frowning_face:

Please refer to GNOME Shell extensions :: Fedora Docs for more information on disabling gnome-shell extensions. When gnome crashes, disabling all extensions is generally the first step to get it back working.

After a successful offline system upgrade of a Fedora 29 , GDM cannot boot into a GNOME Wayland nor into a GNOME via Xorg session. When trying GNOME classic, it displays a distorted desktop, showing only frameless windows of tray applications.

The system is fully accessible via the framebuffer console, autoconnects to WiFi and is else up and running.

From How to debug Wayland problems - Fedora Project Wiki we learn to check that journalctl -ab registers a core dump of gnome-shell, and also few errors with custom installed extensions right before.

mv ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions ~/tmp/
systemctl restart gdm

helped to restore the Wayland desktop session.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community, @yala. Thanks for the note. This was already asked before and solved, so I’ve moved your post to the related topic.

Please do take a moment to go over the introductory posts in #start-here if you’ve not had a chance yet. They provide useful information on how to use the new Discourse platform and so on :slight_smile:

Hi Francesco, thanks for moving my comment into the correct thread. Indeed I longed for another reformulation of the issue, since searching for my keywords didn’t reveal this thread to me. I was more interested in adding other hints for search engines, in so people can find resolutions with different terms more easily. This can very well also be achieved by adding my comments to the lengthy thread here.

1 Like

Maybe we can improve the title: what do you suggest to make it more visible?