Getting latest version of Podman on Fedora

It looks like the latest supported version of Podman on Fedora 37 is 4.2.1 but Podman Release v4.3.0 was released on Oct 22nd. If I want to get the latest version is installing from the github repo my best option currently?

Upstream is always going to be ahead of Fedora, so if you absolutely require the latest then yes getting it from Podmans official COPR repo here

2 Likes

Many thanks for the pointer, much appreciated

Taking a look at COPR and doing a search with

Project List (copr.fedorainfracloud.org)

yields a lot of results, I’m not sure how to best find TOT builds of podman, buildah, skopeo for Fedora 37 any pointers would be appreciated

From the instructions found at the Podman COPR repo on how to install … (found at the link I provided above).

$ sudo dnf copr enable rhcontainerbot/podman-next -y

to enable the repo then …

sudo dnf install podman podman-py

To install the newest podman with podman-py too.
Caveat: you may need to uninstall your current Podman and Podman-py first.
The same or similar would be used for buildah and skopeo too I would think.

On my F37 Linux box, buildah is already at the latest according to their github repo, as per

Screenshot from 2022-11-13 07-30-21

Skopeo version I have installed is 1.10.0

Still, I find this question also interesting. It is good that you @jakfrost provided the COPR repo for podman-next but how can one find such ‘official’ repos on COPR?

Ideally, they should somehow be marked as such and come up as the top results when searching for appropriate keywords as Mark did.

COPR is Fedora Infrastructure’s answer to the packagers needing an area to mess with things, in order to prep for packaging in the Official Fedora Linux repo. It is not Fedora official, but will likely have upstream packages being prepped for inclusion into the official Fedora Repo. So like Podman for instance, uses github, as does buildah and skopeo for their project repositories. They are used by others than Fedora, like RedHat for instance. This means that they likely won’t work 100% correctly OOTB in Fedora Linux, though some may for sure. Anyway, this is generally why COPR was created, to offer an area for packager (both established and someone hoping to become one) a place to get their package ready. All you need for a COPR account is your FAS ID. I think it is generally not advertised to users due to the really bleeding edge experience that may and likely will result.