Getting a red color instead of shadows

Hi,

i’m testing Fedora 38 (kde spin) in a somewhat old computer to see if i can migrate to it.

However, i’m getting a red color where (i suppose) should be some shadows (Menu, System Settings, Discover (this one is really terrible!) and a few more places…)

I’ve tried a couple of configurations in my free time but nothing worked.
I suppose it’s something to do with the onboard i915 Graphic card but i’m not sure.

Does anyone have an idea about what can be causing this?

(i’m not able to upload a screenshot… don’t know why…)

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll give you a :heart: , so you should be able to upload (blocked for new users).

2 Likes

Here you go :slight_smile:

ClearURLs Firefox addon was blocking the upload for some reason…

Are you still using the default theme who came with KDE?

No, i’ve applied other themes to try to fix this (didn’t work: they all behave the same way!) and i currently have the “Fedora” theme applied!

I’ve also tried editing the theme Colors to try to find where all that red comes from with no luck either.

This happens on a clean install!

Ok… here’s how Elisa and Discover look like (maybe something to do with Kirigami?!)

Can you post a screenshot of Settings > Appearance > Colors?
On mine (unmodified after installation):

Hi. Here you go:

Now i do notice that you have more themes than i do (i did not remove any!))

Well… First of all, I stand corrected: the screenshot is from a “fresh” migration from Gnome to KDE. I guess that’s why I have the adwaita stuff in there. I double checked with another (really) fresh install and it only has breeze as you have.

Can you try and click on (select) Breeze Classic, then on Apply.

If no changes, then I am lost, too…

Things to try:

• click on the small pencil “Edit Color Scheme…” and walk through all color settings in order to see if there is something that produces that reddish bar. Or see if you can click on Reset button
  • log out, then log on, but this time with X11 instead of Wayland (or the other way round)
  • create a new user and log in as this user to see if it’s related to a single account or the whole system

Just let me know if you succeeded with one of the options :slight_smile:

I have done all this before (will try again, just in case…):

• Can you try and click on (select) Breeze Classic, then on Apply.
  • click on the small pencil “Edit Color Scheme…” and walk through all color settings in order to see if there is something that produces that reddish bar. Or see if you can click on Reset button
  • log out, then log on, but this time with X11 instead of Wayland (or the other way round)

This one i haven’t tried and will test asap:

• create a new user and log in as this user to see if it’s related to a single account or the whole system

I’ll let you know of the results :slight_smile:

No luck in any of the 4 cases!

When i create a new user, as soon as i login and get the “Greetings and Config Plasma” dialog, i start getting “reds” right there:

Can you have a look with sudo dnf list gtk* what you have installed. Just in case if you still use a gtk theme as default … you said you made an upgrade from gnome to kde?

Ok … the statement was not from you … sorry

No, I didn’t! :slight_smile: That was @kwizzz

I made a fresh Fedora KDE Spin install.

I never had GNOME on it :slight_smile:

Does this also happen when you boot the KDE spin directly from the live installer?

1 Like

Yes.

The live system/installer also has this same problem.

Edit: and by the way, Fedora 37 (both live and installed) also had this same problem

So it’s at least not related to you messing around with themes :wink:

It could be a Fedora issue, so next bet: check with other distros like KDE Neon or openSUSE (Tumbleweed or Leap).

(You might also want to search bugzilla.redhat.com and/or bugs.kde.org if something similar has been already reported)

I haven’t got the time to reply,

but i tested neon the other day (openSUSE is still planed… i just don’t know when i’ll be able to do it)

here’s a screenshot:

as you can see it is A LOT better than fedora, but i still noticed some small problems as seen on the arrows

This is crazy. Never seen something like this before…
So it is definitely not related to any theming. Looks a bit more like related to a graphics (card) issue. But you have nothing extraordinary there, right?

Ok… openSUSE does not have a live version (that’s fast enough to find, download and run. I’ve tried the normal and the one found in here: How To Try openSUSE Without Making Any Changes To Your PC - openSUSE Wiki )

about the specs of the machine:

Operating System: Fedora Linux 38
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.106.0
Qt Version: 5.15.9
Kernel Version: 6.2.15-300.fc38.x86_64 (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland
Processors: 2 × Pentium® Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz
Memory: 2.9 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: i915
Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Product Name: G31M-ES2L

it’s a bit odd this happens… i really don’t know who to to blame on this ahahah.

please advise :slight_smile:

For openSUSE, try the following:
openSUSE Tumbleweed - Get openSUSE (rolling release)
openSUSE Leap 15.4 - Get openSUSE
Scroll down to the Live section.

Other options to try:

• see if it also affects other DEs like Gnome
  • check if there is a BIOS setting or related to graphics
  • check if BIOS is up-to-date
  • check if there is firmware that can be updated
  • check if there is anything in dmesg or journal that might hint to an issue with i915
  • fool around with i915 kernel parameters

If you issue is only for KDE, then I would suggest to get in touch with KDE guys directly (via https://forum.kde.org/).