From Logo to Cookie in one day

So I was wanting to make something Silverblue logo related this Holiday Season, and I was determined to use my newly acquired resin printer to do it with. I originally was just going to make an extruded logo image and hollow it out and print it with the Silverblue leaf in relief. Then I was thinking of cookies, and decided a cookie cutter that was based on the silverblue logo was a better use of the printer.
I started with this Silveblue logo svg image
logo
Then using Gimp I created these two images
logo-inner

and
logo-outer
By using the edge detection tools and several hand edits later.
Now I need to extrude these into the relative parts of a cookie cutter with something. Inkscape has extensions for this, but I am having difficulty getting them to load let alone run (I am using the Flatpak on Silverblue Rawhide so …). Openscad can extrude svg files, but there is a pair of artifacts that look like reference marks that get created as well, and I cannot seem to eliminate them from the Inkscape SVG. So I opened the SVG in FreeCad and found the reference arrow heads and erased them. Oops almost forgot a step, I needed to convert the objects to paths in Inkscape in order for FreeCad to be able to edit them correctly and get rid of the reference marks. So now I save the SVG from FreeCad and no marks are generated in the extruded model in OpenScad

From there I rendered the image then exported to STL format that my printers slicing software can open. I will look into slicing on Fedora Linux at a later time, right now cookies!

This is the cutter and some cookies …

The cost of printing this cookie cutter that measures 62.5mm square was a bit over $2.00Ca, and took a bit over one hour to print.

The cookies were sugar cookies made as lemon instead of traditional. The recipe is below for any who would like.

• 1.5 cup flour
  • 1.5 teaspoon baking powder
  • 0.25 teaspoon salt
  • 0.5 cup butter
  • 0.5 cup sugar
  • 1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
  • 3 tablespoons milk
  • 0.5 teaspoon vanilla
    Stir flour, baking powder, and salt together. Cream butter and add sugar gradually mixing well between additions. Add egg yolk and mix well. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk; add vanilla. Chill dough thoroughly. Roll ~6mm thick on lightly floured surface, cut with your fancy Silverblue cookie cutter. Bake on a non-greased cookie sheet in a moderate oven (375degF) for 8-10 minutes.
    Variation for lemon cookies: Substitute lemon zest for vanilla and lemon juice for milk. Enjoy :lemon::cookie:
4 Likes

Those look great! The indentation on the logo makes for an ideal channel for some icing, too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh yes icing would be good, a lemon one perhaps. It is also customary to sprinkle sugar over the cookies that have been brushed lightly with water. the sugar could be a fruit sugar, say lemon.
Speaking of the relief, I should have made the cutting section extend just ~4mm beyond the tree so the impression would be deeper in the cookie and more defined after cooking. If anyone is interested in the files I could make a repo on gitlab.

2 Likes