Format & installation on new SSD

I have replaced the hard disc on my laptop with a new SSD.
Using Media Writer I created Fedora - WS - Live - 39 - 1 - 5 ISO image on a USB drive.
I was planning to use this image to format the SSD and install F39.

The BIOS on the laptop recognise the USB drive, but will not boot from it, reporting a fail.

The tutorials which I have read, regarding format/installation, seem to assume a functioning OS of some description, in order for the USB to boot.

Can anyone suggest what I am doing incorrectly?
Maybe a file which needs to be executable to begin the boot sequence?

Should be bootable then …

Depends on what partition you are looking at on the usb, and whether this is EFI or Legacy BIOS. If you can select it via the BIOS, then you should look for appropriate image to boot, ie with or without efi in the name.

This would only be applicable to making the bootable media. Not relevant for booting it.

From Project Discussion to Ask Fedora

Your bios may not boot usb sticks by default.
Often there is a key your press to bring up a bios boot menu, F8 is common.
Try pressing F8 a few times as the pc boots up.

Otherwise you will need to look in your bios settings to see if there a boot option for the usb stick.

Stephen:

Thank you for your reply.

I have used the USB on another laptop, which has a formatted hard drive, F38 and a user account installed.
All appears to work correctly and the usual start page is displayed.

Both laptops are Toshiba, but the BIOS may be different versions.

USB Legacy Emulation is ‘Enabled’.
If I disable this feature the USB is not detected by the BIOS.

On the machine fitted with the SSD, I have no control over the USB at boot-up. I edit the BIOS to boot from the USB and get an immediate fail message.

Do I need to specify EFI or Legacy BIOS when creating the ISO image?

No, the image you named is hybrid, meaning it can be booted in either uefi or legacy mode.

One thing I would suggest is to fully update the bios on the laptop before trying to install again.

You did state that the usb boots properly on another laptop and that

I presume that the usual start page is the actual desktop image on the live media. If that is not correct then let us know. If the usb device is booting properly on another system then it seems a config issue on the one having problems.

One additional thing that could possibly affect this would be entering the bios setup menu and deliberately changing the boot mode to UEFI only – possibly by disabling csm or whatever else the bios may name the legacy boot mode.

Also verify that the system is allowed to boot from an external device (usb or otherwise). Some BIOS are set to disable booting from external devices.

Stephen, Barry, Jeff:

Thanks for all your suggestions. I really appreciate the help.

Sorry I have not responded sooner.
I got distracted because the second laptop, which had F38 installed and which I regarded as “good” (to boot from the USB image), developed a power supply fault, and is now ‘temporarily’ dead. Nothing to do with the original problem, just one of those things.

Swapping the hard drives in & out of the original laptop has not produced any success, and I am beginning to suspect the USB stick.
So, my next move is to create an ISO image on CD, and also one on a new USB stick.

Thanks again for your help.
I’ll let you know how it all turns out next week.

For one of my systems, getting the USB to boot is tricky – with secure boot enabled, it won’t boot external drives. After enabling boot from external devices, the monitor often fails to to wake up in time to select the USB key. It usually takes several attempts to boot a Fedora Live USB key or an external drive with Fedora.

I’m used to Apple systems where you hold down the “Alt” key while booting and get a display of availabie boot devices, even if several are called “Fedora” (with different icons for internal, USB, and firewire devices).