Flatpak gThumb access to Autofs CIFS mount points (set under /var)

I installed SilverBlue 38 and thus had to change the way to configure my NAS CIFS mount points.
Previously I used to rely on /etc/fstab on Fedora (requiring chmod u+s mount.cifs) or Ubuntu.

I moved to autofs - systemd is another option but I hate it - I find it awkward & too heavy.
With Silverblue & autofs, it seems mount point can be done only under /var .
I created a directory named /var/nas - I tried to use /home (which points to /var/home ) and /media with no success.
The issue is that Flatpak programs (such as gThumb cannot access /var by design if I understand things correctly. So I cannot browse pictures from my NAS anylonger.
Any work-around or idea to solve this issue ?

Strategy for SilverBlue users needing access to NAS shares is to mount shares under /var/ (only /var top directory can be selected, /mnt and /media are not suppported) and use Flatpak override feature (by CLI or Flatseal).

Looks a lot like autofs mount point limited to /var (/media & /mnt cannot be used) : issue when using Flatpak Apps · Issue #539 · fedora-silverblue/issue-tracker · GitHub

Yes Timothée I’m the one creating the bug report in the end to get an official answer.
Thanks for your answers :handshake:, now it is clear to me :slight_smile:
Initially i thought /media (used to mount USB drives) or /mnt were options, now it’s clear only /var is the way - and Flatpak override can grant access to such NAS mounted folders.

1 Like