First steps after installed fedora 32 - first Issues/Questions from Germany

the command will be, just to keep your system up to date and secure…

sudo dnf upgrade

Regards.,

1 Like

There is another TOPIC with same situation and solved by the community just check and find solved POST

Regards.,

1 Like

About this, I’ve tried to find a solution but all I can find is:

• Make a Backup for sensitive data
  • Re-install
  • Restore Backup data

I’m not an expert of LUKS so I’ve gave this Question open to a LUKS ninja and this not an easy task for newbies like you…

REFERENCES

Regards.,

3 Likes

@hhlp: ah, okay. You mean, these two commands:
sudo dnf upgrade
or
sudo dnf update --refresh
are just Options, for getting the own System clear / up to date / secure.
so, we can choose between these two Options, and the the result is: good steps, System are up to date. - right? which command do you prefer?

passphrase - i will wait, maybe some ninja can help
:grinning:

• and if this command is the right one ( not in live boot usb stick place, i mean in normal place, now in my system, go in terminal and type in:

cryptsetup-reencrypt --decrypt /dev/sda1

sda1 = because this is the data with installed fedora 32 System

wayland / x11: i read the post. Thank your. okay, the result is: to use nvidia graphic card drivers, the system set wayland off, and x11 on - when you want wayland, set nvidia drivers off, only then, wayland come back, and x11 get off…
Question: are there any positive arguments, to get that situation with x11 - or there are more positive arguments, for change that, back to wayland? thanks for explain something, to understand and find the best solution in my case.
Question 2: i want just have the most quality for my pc with having nvidia graphic card. so, when with x11 mode is the same amazing quality, then with wayland, okay - then it is for me personally not important, what name calls in settings / Info menue, you know.

upgrade = update, the second is an alias for the first.

dnf --refresh contacts the servers to get a (recent) list of packages. You can combine that step with check-update, to see available updates:
dnf --refresh check-update
If you want to proceed with the update, then you type:
dnf update
or
dnf upgrade

The “–refresh” part happens automatically every hour (if I read the timer correctly), so you don’t gain much by requesting new metadata, unless the mirror serving you fetched its packages in between the automatic operation and your forced refresh.

dnf --refresh upgrade (or dnf --refresh update) refreshes the metadata and does the update in one step.

https://dnf.readthedocs.io/en/latest/command_ref.html

2 Likes

reading the man page, there would be no - between cryptsetup and reencrypt.
Also I would not be that much surprised if that would take man hours, if not a day or two to run… just my own expectations.

1 Like

No, these are actually two different things.
cryptsetup-reencrypt is the older tool, that works on LUKS1 volumes.
The new cryptsetup works with LUKS2 (probably not LUKS1) and reencrypt is a sub-command…

2 Likes

Does Fedora 32 installer use LUKS2?

1 Like

I think we switched to LUKS2 in F30.

1 Like

Hi Folks. :grinning:

thank you very much for Answers - that helps me every time…

okay, i will use sudo dnf upgrade = and i am sure, with that my system is secure, and Up to Date

Savety/Firewall like that - not important to include something like that?
in the default defora 32 Installation, i can not find any kind of Savety/Firewall Protection Tools/Programs

disable passphrase: getting with one special command
what i have to check and give you with screenshot, so after that, you can tell me the right command for terminal?

wayland / x11: what about that - anyone who can tell me the differents and the differents between Quality ( with active nvidia drivers ( x11); or other drivers active (wayland)

If you would like to use firewalld graphical user interface, then use the single command given below to install

sudo dnf install firewall-config

NOTE : default firewall zone is FedoraWorkstation

ADITIONAL DOCUMENTATION

Open and closed cases

Why would you want open source drivers anyway, you might ask? Aside from wanting to support the general concept of free and open software – and distros that build themselves around these offerings – some folks may have more niche needs where Nvidia’s proprietary driver for Linux isn’t always the best choice.

For example, those running old Nvidia graphics cards – pre-Kepler, or indeed much further back – may well find that Nouveau provides a smoother experience than Nvidia’s own GPU driver (because as time progresses, Nvidia neglects and ceases support for older cards, perhaps just assuming that everyone has moved on).

For most Linux folks, though, Nvidia’s proprietary driver will be best, as Nouveau is still in a fairly rough state, generally speaking, particularly for anything beyond simple desktop computing.

However, extra hardware documentation like what Nvidia has just provided should go a long way to remedying that situation, and Nouveau will hopefully become a more viable choice across a wider range of scenarios in the future.

REFERENCES

Regards.,

2 Likes

@dawson

At this point you already have a general idea of fedora and how to start using and managing it

RECOMENDATION

This TOPIC has too many POST, that I think is not recommendable at all, because we can be in this state forever, you should start considering mark of ANY for this answer/POST as a possible solution…

And OPEN another TOPICs with more specific questions according to your needs…

For example this POST…

Regards., and Welcome to the Community…

3 Likes

Blockquote
i installed fedora 32 with usb stick . how can i now get the usb stick default? (exampel to fat32) because i want to put to the usb stick the data files, that ware on there, before i change the usb stick for bootable fedora system. - so, you know, how can formate them back - when i use “Laufwerke” Programm ( that is default on fedora 32) - i get Error Messages, not possible, ust stick is activate or something like that comes…

There is a program called “Disks” (in english version). Here you can format e.g. an USB-Stick with NTFS, FAT or whatever you want

1 Like

Nautilus has Tabbed View if that helps -hit CTRL + T. Otherwise you need a second instance of nautilus and you arrange and snap the windows horizontally.

1 Like

@imoves61: Thank You. I solved the Problem with the usb stick format with “GParted”. Now, all my three usb sticks are back to default - and can be used for future things
:blush:

@florian: Thank You. the method Strg+T works fine - new (second) Tab - okay.
and i tried other method, right click on files, copy to…then choose the Target Folder, click okay, that´s it.
Problem solved, i think.

at the moment, the passphrase missing Screen & maybe disable Pasphrase is the opening Issue, that are not solved, right now. But i hope, someone can help.
i think, that is a x11/wayland Bug Issue. Because with default fedora 32 (wayland) the Passphrase Key Screen showed - after enable “RPM Fusion” in Software Center & with commands in Terminal - this Passphrase Key Screen did not showed and in Settings / Info , they told wayland is out, X11 is active
here: https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/seahorse-gnome-keyring-not-showing-login-keyring-and-user-keystore/75665/8
i post some Screenshots ( Posts 6-9) - maybe it helps, for help solve the Issue/Bug

Thank You so much, Folks.
:blush:

@imoves61 Y for Yes (Ja) and N for No (Nein)

Hallo @dawson!
Ich komme auch aus :de: und habe kürzlich den Wechsel von Windows 10 auf Fedora 32 gewagt. Ist zwar nicht mein erster Berührungspunkt mit Linux, da ich mich in den letzten 15 Jahren schon das ein oder andere mal mit dem Thema befasst habe, bin aber trotzdem Linux-Neuling mit Grundkenntnissen :sweat_smile:
Können uns gerne austauschen bei Fragen und Problemen und so möglicherweise gegenseitig weiterbringen. In deinem Thread wurden ja schon einige Dinge beantwortet, die sehr interessant, lehr- wie hilfreich sind!

Ich poste dir hier mal mein persönliches “Changelog”, welches alle Änderungen enthält, welche ich seit Aufsetzen des Systems vorgenommen habe. Vielleicht ist da ja Inspiration für dich dabei :slight_smile:

Zusammenfassung
 RTL8821CE Treiberinstallation
	# sudo dnf update
	# sudo dnf install dkms make kernel-devel -y
	# git clone https://github.com/tomaspinho/rtl8821ce.git
	# cd rtl8821ce
	# sudo ./dkms-install.sh

exFAT Unterstützung
	Download latest rpmfusion-free-release-stable rpm from
	http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/

Install rpmfusion-free-release-stable rpm:
	# rpm -Uvh rpmfusion-free-release-stable*rpm

Install fuse-exfat rpm package:
	# sudo dnf install fuse-exfat

GNOME Tweaks
	# sudo dnf install gnome-tweaks

Bitwarden RPM
	Install Bitwarden-1.17.2-x86_64 rpm
	https://vault.bitwarden.com/download/?app=desktop&platform=linux&variant=rpm

BleachBit RPM
	Install bleachbit-4.0.0-1.1.fc31.noarch rpm
	https://download.bleachbit.org/bleachbit-4.0.0-1.1.fc31.noarch.rpm

GStreamer H264
	Install GStreamer H264 code from Software
	GStreamer Multimedia Codecs - H.264

Install Mozilla OpenH264 codec
	sudo dnf install mozilla-openh264-2.1.0-1.fc32.x86_64

Flatpak
	Repository hinzufügen
	https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo

Signal Messenger installieren
	https://flathub.org/repo/appstream/org.signal.Signal.flatpakref

Druckertreiber installieren (Samsung M2026W)
	Paket entpacken
	tar xzf uld_V1.00.39_01.17.tar.gz

Install Shell Script ausführbar machen
	chmod +x install.sh

Installation starten
	sudo ./install.sh

Hintergrundbilder nachinstallieren
	sudo dnf install f*-backgrounds-gnome
	sudo dnf install f*-backgrounds-extras-gnome
	sudo dnf remove fedora-jam-backgrounds*

Nautilus Erweiterungen installieren
	sudo dnf install nautilus-image-converter-0.3.1-0.19.git430afce31.fc32.x86_64 nautilus-search-tool-0.3.0-32.fc32.x86_64

Gruß und weiterhin viel Erfolg und Freude mit Fedora :v:t2:
Holzkerbe

1 Like

Good Morning @holzkerbe
and good Morning Folks !

:wink:

nice, to hear you. sure, we can see, if we can help each other.
Good Idea.
now, i watch your steps done.
Thank You.
i created other Threads here - maybe you can look at these and can help.
Greetins from Berlin

1 Like

Ok… about themes… look for them on pling.com in GTK/Gnome section.
There you can find application that will help you to install themes easier. There you can find shell, icon and cursor themes.
Music player - can recommend that one - Flathub—An app store and build service for Linux , but it’s not open source.

1 Like

Hi @holzkerbe

Bitwarden is available on Flathub, so get automatic updates within Gnome Software:

(no need to manually install and update the rpm from bitwarden.com

1 Like