Fedora28 install new package

, ,

Please help me
I need to update dnsmaq in my fedora 28 server
i have repo updates configured
but when i issue command
dnf -q updateinfo list
no entries are shown
how can i install new package (or upgrade) repo from fedora 30 sutiable?
how to update?

Welcome, Andrey.
Please help us understand your request. Your posting title tells me you want to install a new package on Fedora 28. (Naturally many people will tell you that is a very old version, no longer supported with regular patches and updates, but I’m sure you know that.)
In your message, it seems you have dnsmasq installed and want to update it.
Then you say you are using the dnf updateinfo command. And you ask about Fedora 30’s repos, so I think you are also wanting to know if those repos are suitable to use to install onto Fedora 28.
So I am confused … are you wanting to install dnsmasq on your Fedora 28 system? Or is dnsmasq already installed and you want to update it to a later version?

There have been many changes and improvements to dnsmasq, including security patches, and many changes to Fedora network management, so an upgrade to a recent version just of dnsmasq may cause you many problems. Unless you have dependencies on Fedora 28, I would recommend you begin an upgrade process to bring your system to a more recent version. This, too, could be significant work for you, as you would either need to upgrade Fedora no more than two versions at a time (28 → 30 → 32 → 34 → 35), or (perhaps much easier) backup your user environment and do a fresh install of Fedora 35.

I use dnsmasq to manage my local network, dhcp and dns, and have no problems. I believe many others on this forum also use it successfully. We’ll be able to help with configuration at that point.

Good luck!

2 Likes

dnsmasq already installed and i want to update it to a later version
i don’t have chance to change version application is there (can’t work on fedora 32)

With dnsmasq already installed, you should be able to just use dnf update to update libraries and applications to the latest version supported by your system at the Fedora 28 level. That would include dnsmasq.
For a bit better approach, you might consider upgrading Fedora to the highest version you can. If 32 won’t work for your system, then go 28 → 30 → 31, and you’ll at least get the latest versions of applications and libraries for that release.
But let’s look at your current system. What are the outputs of dnf check-update and dnf updateinfo and dnf repolist? Since you indicated dnf -q updateinfo list shows nothing, you may be fully up to date for Fedora 28, in which case your next step would be that system upgrade path.
Alternatively you could build dnsmasq from the source code, but then the resolution of dependencies would be up to you.

2 Likes

For the dependency resolution bit: we have a helper command to install build time dependencies for Fedora packages called dnf builddep. So, dnf builddep dnsmasq should install the dependencies listed for the Fedora Linux 28 package for you, at least the ones used to build the Fedora package. On my F35 system:

$ sudo dnf builddep dnsmasq
Package make-1:4.3-6.fc35.x86_64 is already installed.
Package gcc-11.2.1-7.fc35.x86_64 is already installed.
Package systemd-249.7-2.fc35.x86_64 is already installed.
Package pkgconf-pkg-config-1.8.0-1.fc35.x86_64 is already installed.
Package gnupg2-2.3.4-1.fc35.x86_64 is already installed.
Package systemd-rpm-macros-249.7-2.fc35.noarch is already installed.
Dependencies resolved.
========================================================================================================================================
 Package                            Architecture                Version                               Repository                   Size
========================================================================================================================================
Installing:
 dbus-devel                         x86_64                      1:1.12.20-5.fc35                      fedora                       34 k
 libidn2-devel                      x86_64                      2.3.2-3.fc35                          fedora                       58 k
 nettle-devel                       x86_64                      3.7.3-2.fc35                          fedora                      697 k

Transaction Summary
Install  3 Packages

Total download size: 789 k
Installed size: 1.7 M
Is this ok [y/N]: N
Operation aborted.

These are just listed in the “spec file” that is used to build the Fedora package. Look for BuildRequires: here, for example:

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/dnsmasq/blob/f28/f/dnsmasq.spec

To see whether any new ones have cropped up in the Fedora Linux 32 version, you can check the spec file to see the list of BuildRequires: here in the f32 branch:

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/dnsmasq/blob/f32/f/dnsmasq.spec

The spec file is the “recipe” used to build the package, so you should be able to follow the commands there to build it from source for yourself.

In general, it’s best to see if you can use a supported version of Fedora Linux. Probably easier to see if your app/software can be fixed to run a supported release than to cherry-pick individual packages because Fedora packages are not designed to be used in that way.

1 Like