Fedora-toolbox-0.0.3 released - karma needed

There’s a new fedora-toolbox-0.0.3 release out there that’s eagerly waiting for your karma upvotes.

F29: https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2019-6f670afd79
F28: https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2019-2ff457bbf8

Overview of changes in 0.0.3

• Clean up the Buildah working containers on error
  • Unbreak creating the toolbox if the toolbox image already exists

Hello @rishi, I had to downgrade my podman and buildah to run fedora-toolbox on Silverblue 29. I did this as per our discussion on freenode. Now I see you have a new toolbox available, and would like to provide Karma, but I cannot reset my podman and buildah through the rpm-ostree override reset command for some reason. Also, if I try to --allow-inactive either package in their latest form, I reboot into a Silverblue ready to be setup for a fresh user, unable to login as my original user!?!
[Edit]: I have gotten through the initial user setup by completing it. I can still access all of my other user files, as well as log in as my original user, so able to continue. I have been able to enter my old container made with a previous version of the toolbox. I was unsatisfied with that container and decided to delete it and create a new one from my now cleaner base setup. I’ll do some testing over the next few days likely. I’ll let you know how it goes.
[Edit]: First use was for IntelliJ’s IDEA CE using openjdk 11.0.1 2018-10-16. I successfully created then ran a project the first try, after setting up the SDK and libraries in the project defaults. The experience was no different than using Fedora Workstation to do the same task. Mind you, I hardly budged the processing needle with my quick test pgm. Good karma to you.

I usually use rpm-ostree override reset --all to remove all my overrides before I issue another rpm-ostree override command. It’s a bit primitive, but I started doing it ever since I managed to confuse rpm-ostree while fiddling with overrides. Maybe that can help you? No idea.

Yeah, I think I should have checked the instructions a bit better at first. I did get it going with the newest buildah and podman, but I had to create a new user after the update. That issue seems to be unrelated to how I messed up trying to reset my overrides. The very first command was rpm-ostree override reset buildah, and it responded with nothing to do. Podman the same. Then I got silly and messed around a bit before just going ahead with the update of the rpm-ostree gnome was notifying me of. It is working Okay now (Silverblue) with the extra user and all. The fedora-toolbox container seems faster than before, or is that my imagination?

I am glad you managed to figure it out.

Faster, how? If it’s indeed faster, the credit goes to Podman. Maybe it’s due to the fuse-overlayfs backend? I don’t know.

I found that the create and enter commands when executed, appeared to perform ‘faster’ than before. As this is memory and not actual empirical data, I reserve the right to qualify that thought with the word perception. So, my perception is that it is faster.

It’s definitely faster due to the fuse-overlayfs support in podman/buildah. The previous default backend of vfs would basically untar the layers onto each other, which would get pretty slow with large images.

I will admit, when I realized that this was finally implemented I was ecstatic. :sweat_smile:

I thought so. Thanks for clarifying, sometimes when you notice the little things like that, entirely unloaded, you wonder if it really was the case.

I just installed silverblue a few days ago for the first time and I’m just trying to figure stuff out. I just realized that an rpm-ostree rollback only works once. Otherwise it ‘rolls forward’. That said my fedora-toolbox no longer works and I haven’t figured out how to ‘get’ the old version back, as I’ve installed a few things. I’m on rawhide and rpm-ostree update says there is nothing to do. At this’ early stage witout rpm and dnf I don’t know how to find the current version of fedora-toolbox. (I’ll get there eventually…)

What exactly happened with fedora-toolbox? What isn’t working?

I can’t start container…

bkelly  ~  fedora-toolbox --verbose enter
error creating libpod runtime: failed to mount overlay for metacopy check: operation not permitted
/usr/bin/fedora-toolbox: failed to start container fedora-toolbox-bkelly:30

[root@xps13 log]# rpm-ostree status
State: idle
AutomaticUpdates: disabled
Deployments:
● ostree://fedora-workstation:fedora/rawhide/x86_64/silverblue
Version: Rawhide.20190121.n.1 (2019-01-21T15:33:43Z)
BaseCommit: c22fc8f12aaba4133d4b61f20a6ca4877a153fcb635af94fe177504a005585c8
GPGSignature: Valid signature by F1D8EC98F241AAF20DF69420EF3C111FCFC659B9
LayeredPackages: abrt chromium chromium-libs-media-freeworld dmenu fedora-workstation-repositories gnome-tweaks libvirt libvirt-daemon libvirt-login-shell lxc lxc-templates neovim powerline
powerline-fonts qemu-img qemu-kvm ssmtp sway virt-manager
LocalPackages: rpmfusion-nonfree-release-30-0.2.noarch rpmfusion-free-release-30-0.2.noarch

ostree://fedora-workstation:fedora/rawhide/x86_64/silverblue
Version: Rawhide.20190121.n.1 (2019-01-21T15:33:43Z)
BaseCommit: c22fc8f12aaba4133d4b61f20a6ca4877a153fcb635af94fe177504a005585c8
GPGSignature: Valid signature by F1D8EC98F241AAF20DF69420EF3C111FCFC659B9
LayeredPackages: abrt abrt-cli chromium chromium-libs-media-freeworld dmenu fedora-workstation-repositories gnome-tweaks libvirt libvirt-daemon libvirt-login-shell lxc lxc-templates neovim powerline
powerline-fonts qemu-img qemu-kvm ssmtp sway virt-manager
LocalPackages: rpmfusion-nonfree-release-30-0.2.noarch rpmfusion-free-release-30-0.2.noarch
[root@xps13 log]#

Fedora-toolbox first had a problem a couple of days ago and I was able to rpm-ostree rollback. But I also have an issue with gnome-control-center and so installed abrt-cli and a couple of other things with a reboot or two. I totally forgot about the fedora-toolbox problem. The bright side is this is on a brand new laptop and I’m on vacation…

Hmm that should be fixed in podman git, but I’m not sure how that relates to the release. Have you tried doing another upgrade?

Just retried an rpm-ostree refresh-md and rpm-ostree update with “No upgrad Available” How can I find the version of a given installed package?

Try podman version

podman --version will tell you the version of podman you are using
podman -h or --help
check buildah too, buildah creates the container podman uses for the fedora-toolbox
Of course if your container is not working, you could just delete it and create a new one.
[edit]
So i issued the command on my system buildah conatiners that resulted in an error for each cotainer that begins like this

ERRO[0000] ‘overlay’ is not supported over extfs at

my local storage directory for the system is the end point. I can confirm that my toolbox container does work still. Although this output would seem to be related to the fuse overlay filesystem issues, I wonder if they are somehow connected with your problems with fedora-toolbox. The last time I had issues with fedora-toolbox, I had to downgrade my podaman and buildah.

Here are the versions of podman and buildah:

bkelly  ~  podman --version
podman version 1.0.1-dev
bkelly  ~  buildah --version
buildah version 1.7-dev (image-spec 1.0.0, runtime-spec 1.0.0)
bkelly  ~ 

But it’s podman that seems to be the culprit here:

bkelly  ~  podman ls
error creating libpod runtime: failed to mount overlay for metacopy check: operation not permitted

I also can’t create a new container: (command worked previously)

bkelly  ~  fedora-toolbox --container test --release 29 -v create
error creating libpod runtime: exit status 125

Can podman “see” the images with the podman images command? This is still sounding like some fuse filesystem overlay issue to me. Though I am no expert by any means with podman/fuse/buildah. Skopeo is another command line tool that can be used to inspect and manipulate (copy, etc) containers. I am only just starting to play with it myself. If you can at least see what your container image is called, perhaps you can use some of the status/info tools of podman/buildah/skopeo to get more info. When I use it to see my containers like so …
[~]━━ ━ podman container ls
CONTAINER ID IMAGE COMMAND CREATED STATUS PORTS NAMES
9ec7caca7fcf localhost/fedora-toolbox-ssnow:29 /bin/sh 2 weeks ago Up 9 hours ago fedora-toolbox-ssnow:29
[~]━━ ━

Ah, you’re on rawhide. The stable F29 version of podman doesn’t have this issue. It was fixed on master 5 days ago, but I guess the fix hasn’t made it out yet… Cons of rawhide ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FWIW even with that fix, I was personally unable to get rootless podman to work. You have have better luck downloaded the F29 RPMs for podman and buildah and using rpm-ostree override replace to override the built-in versions.

ok I also may just also reinstall f29. I often can’t resist rawhide and with yer regular workstation can work through issues. But eliminating the possible gotchas with rawhide will certainly facilitate the learning curve of silverblue, ostree, podman, buildah, fedora-toolbox, etc. etc. Thanks very much!