Fedora-Council/tickets ticket #499: Request for Trademark Approval for "Fedora Ready"

@roseline-bassey filed Fedora-Council/tickets ticket #499. Discuss here and record votes and decisions in the ticket.

Ticket text:

3 Likes

I am super excited to see this ticket come up :tada: Thanks for opening it @roseline-bassey!

I am biased here since I am collaborating with @joseph and Roseline on this, but I am curious if other Council members have feedback or questions about this.

Also important, I want to make sure we might not have any issues in the future with using this name, since we intend to use it publicly and visibly as a new brand.

1 Like

Yes, important to emphasize that the goal for this program is to be user facing AND vendor facing. To users, Fedora Ready facilitates finding computers that ship or support Fedora. To vendors, Fedora Ready is a resource they can tap into for marketing, technical, and product management support for their products when they choose Fedora. Very public.

Open for questions!

I love this!

Question: Will any vendor be able to use this? Or will we be granting permissions case by case, perhaps somehow testing their HW actually works great with Fedora? Will there be set criteria to pass?

We have more details worked out regarding what vendors would be part of this or not. It’s not so much about them being a part of the program but rather us doing things to support them. In all three cases (Lenovo, Framework, Slimbook) we on the Fedora side have evolved that so that we collaborate more closely, but that’s not necessary. However, the desire for being in communication may be more or less of a requirement depending on the vendor.

In terms of qualifying, it boils down to whether there is a way to buy a vendor’s product with Fedora on it (or whether they publicly say their products officially support Fedora), and our familiarity with the vendor. Fedora Ready would not be a certification program. It would be more like an endorsement program. Put another way, if you choose to support Fedora, we want to be cheerleaders for you!

Depending on the vendor we may start boosting their products all on our own or we would want to learn more about the vendor. For example, if Dell starts providing Fedora pre-installed, we will probably start boosting that immediately whether we have a contact or not (though we will try to establish that relationship). On the other end, if a smaller company starts shipping Fedora who is not as well known, we would want to evaluate things more before boosting them to the community because they may not have a strong reputation for support yet. If they’re too unknown, that will be a factor.

2 Likes

That makes sense, thanks!

goes put a +1 to the ticket

I’m told “endorsement” is another term to be careful with.

(I know, it’s like a landmine out there.)

I also think we should somewhere make clear that this is at our discretion, and we can stop at any time for any reason.

Ok, avoiding endorsement as well, lol.

Yes, I think that caveat as also fine of stopping or rolling back promotion in the way you describe.

1 Like

As an end user, usage that provided more specific guarantees would add more value - e.g. descriptors like ‘runs Fedora x out of the box’.
Some existing compatible devices (designed for non-Linux os’s) create installation headaches with e.g. default UEFI settings (unless you’re using ‘compatible’ in a sense that excludes such cases).

Yes, we will have those category breakouts in the compatibility list. The categories are:

• Available with Fedora pre-installed
  • Fedora officially supported by the vendor
  • Fedora has a good chance of running, but not officially supported by the vendor

All three of these categories will be captured in a big compatibility list that will live in Fedora Docs, but we also want to promote the first two categories on the main Fedora website. That project would fall under Fedora Ready for increased visibility for users.

1 Like

I am following up on the Fedora Ready trademark approval request to see if the responses provided have been helpful in providing more clarity on the direction of the program.

If anything remains unclear or if you need any additional information about the program, please let us know so we can provide it to help move the approval process forward.

I think it would be great to grant the “Badge” temporarily, like for a year. And then do some community testing, with preset requirements. If it matches, the Badge can stay.

So, @joseph in our chat had suggested referring to Fedora Ready as a “promotional program.” I am putting this here because we want to be sure that the term does not have any legal implications.

Lemme check on that. :slight_smile:

My instinct is that that’s probably fine…