Fedora Cloud — Edition, not an Edition, and the future

Oh! I see. That actually did happen. It’s recorded in Issue #119: Approve Atomic PRD and Lifecycle Plan - tickets - Pagure.io. I thought I linked that above but I guess not. Atomic went through the same PRD process. It doesn’t spell out “formally wind down Cloud Edition” in the ticket, but that was definitely the understanding we had at the time of what was happening. As I said, at the time, there was no active separate-from-Atomic functioning Cloud WG. The lack of action here wasn’t that we didn’t formally make the decision, but that we didn’t follow up on it in updating the fedora-release package.

Arguably, we should have also updated the Cloud wiki docs and so on, but in practice Cloud and Atomic were all mixed together because they were the same group.

You can see even today on the Cloud wiki page:

Quorum Voting Policy

At minimum 51% of the voting members of the Atomic WG must be in attendance in order to make decisions on meeting items. The definition of voting members is that of those who have self identified themselves as participants of the Working Group by adding their name here. A quorum vote is required to approve a decision on behalf of the working group, not simply the majority vote of those in attendance of any particular meeting.

… emphasis added. Basically, what happened was:

1. Cloud WG started making Atomic Image (not an Edition) in addition to Cloud Base Image (Edition). That was distributed initially from that same Cloud wiki page. See for example the Fedora 22 release announcement, where Fedora Atomic Host is listed as part of the Cloud Edition.
  2. The “Cloud WG” just rolled into “Atomic WG”. You can see this in meetbot here and here, where the last “Cloud” meeting is October 2016 and the first “Atomic” one November 2016. Note same people in attendance under either name.
  3. That group worked on the PRD for Atomic, which was approved by Council
  4. That group made Atomic the “Edition” deliverable, as per that Council approval.
  5. The Cloud Base Image almost stopped getting made entirely, except Dusty kept doing it. Thank you Dusty!
  6. Red Hat bought CoreOS and canceled Project Atomic. Uncertainty abounds.
  7. Fedora CoreOS replaces Atomic Host, but edition status kind of wobbly.
  8. Fedora IoT exposes the fact that we didn’t really have a good formal promotion process so we developed that (thank you Adam!). See Issue #296: Decide, plan for and clearly communicate any changes to primary Editions and/or release-blocking deliverables for Fedora 33 - tickets - Pagure.io and the result Process for promoting a Fedora deliverable to Edition :: Fedora Docs
  9. CoreOS Edition status still pending (see incomplete Change Changes/FedoraCoreOS - Fedora Project Wiki), so we’ve been calling it an “Emerging Edition”.
  10. Meanwhile somewhere in there, new interest in original Fedora Cloud has (obviously) resurged and awesome stuff is happening.

Details may be a bit fuzzy, really. But that’s the overview. And, I think more important than the details, here we are now. I admit I find it fun to spelunk through the past and discover what things we’d written down in a useful way and what things I just remember and I’m going to have to ask you to trust me on. But, really, I think there’s only so much to be gained there, and a lot more to be gained by figuring out what we want to do next and how to get there.

1 Like

Define formal. Because I don’t see a formal vote by Council in that ticket to either name change Cloud WG into Atomic WG or dissolve Cloud WG. The formal action, i.e. what the ticket says, looks indistinguishable to me from a new Atomic WG with imprimatur from Council.

Council needs to provide clarity, without delay. If only Council could act on this inside of 20 minutes, seeing as after 4 years it was suddenly so urgent to figure out as a Fedora 35 blocker. :confused:

Chris, I don’t think that’s necessary. Nothing in Fedora has “imprimatur”, really. (As Adam Williamson once famously told me, I am not the Pope.) We, Fedora, area almost never that formal. We’re getting better at recording important decisions in a way that we can look back on and say “yeah, that official” (or, really, more importantly I think, where we can look at the reasoning), but there are hundreds of important decisions about both project structure and engineering that are at best in some meeting log somewhere.

When something is contentious, the bar is higher. We try to make sure to have all sides heard and document the whole thing more clearly. That’s a crucial part of Fedora decision making. We don’t always do that perfectly, but I’m very conscious of the need to continually improve at it. But at the time here, there weren’t any sides. Just the one group, and the Council validating the decision. No one then anticipated the situation we have now, so there was no real reason to do more.

And, to be clear, miscommunication aside, I think the situation now is good. Back then, basically no one cared about the non-container-focused Cloud Image enough to do more than keep it on life support. But now! We have so many people here who clearly care and have big plans. It’s awesome! Let’s focus on that.

I’m absolutely certain I could get the current Council to look at this and say, yes, sure, here’s an official seal. But I’m opposed to doing that, because I really, really, really do not see any value it would add. I don’t see how it matters either way except to fill some theoretical requirement for extra process. Let’s figure out what we want now.

I’m honestly not sure what you’re getting at here. As the proposed blocker bug noted, the Cloud image had incorrectly identified itself as an Edition for a long time. That is factually correct; there was nothing to figure out. That’s also a violation of the given release criteria; also a plain fact with nothing to figure out. The question was “should we block the whole Fedora Linux release to change this, or should we waive the blocker”… and that’s what needed urgent response since the blocker was proposed the morning of Go/No-Go day. And that was a pretty easy waiver: it’s been fine with nobody really noticing for years, so seems pretty silly to hold up anything for. No change necessary for the release.

But, it does highlight that we should formally plan for what we want to do with Fedora Cloud in the future. That’s what this thread is about!

At least for me it is a valuable information. It provides a solid basis for decision making and courses of action. Unfortunately, the discussion around and about cloud is not always strictly rational, as I had to experience myself in the past.

And, in the spirit of following my own advice: I think, at this point, there is a quite compelling case to make sure Fedora Cloud image in its traditional form is well-represented, well-maintained, and well-presented to users. That’s because:

… it represents 15.2% of all persistent (installed for more than one week) Fedora Linux 34 systems observed to date, and …

… a whopping 30.5% of the “ephemeral” systems. (Those that show up initially but never report as being installed for more than a week.)

So, that’s a lot! It’s important! I mean, it’s obviously greater than any number of systems from any other deliverable we have, but it’s also greater than all of the non-Workstation desktop releases put together, even for persistent installs.

(Note that CoreOS, Silverblue, and IoT numbers are low because they just started getting the countme feature. They will be higher for F35 numbers.)

The huge difference in persistent vs. ephemeral for Cloud and Server does speak to a different use case for sure. But that 15.2% persistent systems makes me wonder still. Is it really better for those to be Cloud, or should we bring some of that cloud knowledge and expertise into the Server Edition? (Likewise, 5.7% of ephemeral systems are Fedora Server Edition? That’s a lot. Might those be better steered towards Cloud?)

Here is where I really need your expertise. I was really deep in doing cool stuff with Cloud at my previous non-RH job. When I joined the company, I was, like, OMG all these people who have worked at RH for 10 years have no idea how the computing landscape has changed. Now, I am those people. So, I need you to help me understand how the persistent systems installed with Fedora Cloud represent use cases different from those outlined for Fedora Server. (Which, really, is no slouch at these levels; Fedora Server is always going to be in a unique position against LTS/LTM distros and that’s fine.)

Or to put it another way, I actually fairly frequently get the question: “I don’t get it — why isn’t Fedora Cloud just, like, Fedora Server available to me in Amazon / Azure / GCE / DigitalOcean?” Help me answer that question with confidence.

As I read through this thread, it appears to me there are two main ideas presented:

1. A very detailed history lesson of how we got here.
  2. Those who work on and use the cloud build artifacts do not see Fedora valuing/promoting that work in the same way as other build artifacts.

Just scanning our web sites and documentation, anything we label is Cloud is inconsistent when compared to Server or Workstation. And we know how we got here. To me this shows that we have learned a lot since Fedora.next was first announced and we as a project are in a much better position to define use cases and build artifacts.

Speaking as a Council member, I do not understand what a Council vote would gain us now except to say “yes, it’s time to look at the Cloud builds again”. We already know that, so let’s make that a focus for Fedora 36 rather than rehashing the past.

What I would like to see for the Fedora 36 cycle is for the Cloud group to:

• Evaluate the group’s name and change it if needed.
  • Evaluate the group’s scope and targeted use cases, revise those if needed.
  • Define the non-Server and non-Workstation builds to deliver in Fedora 36.
  • Work with infra, docs, and other teams to get consistent naming and terminology across Fedora. Just like you can say Server and Workstation now, we need new well-defined terms for anything from the Cloud group.

There is probably more here too, but I guess my main thinking here is let’s make the changes we want to see based on what we have learned.

3 Likes

Oh, this reminds me – maybe too deep of a tangent, but: at some point, in the very distant past, the Cloud SG agreed* to call the cloud image officially Fedora Cloud Base image. Since then, Edition or no, we have been horribly inconsistent with “Fedora Cloud image”, “Fedora Cloud Base image”, “Fedora Cloud Base Image” (capital i), “Fedora Cloud Base” (no “image”), and in at least one unfortunate instance, “Cloud Based Image”.

We should definitely take the opportunity to clean that up — pick and actually consistently use a standard name. At the time, we were contemplating a lot of “cloudy” images, and we wanted something specific, and we felt that “Base image” conjured up the desired idea of “this is a minimal image for building on”. I am not at all attached to this nomenclature.

* note: URL contains “atomic-wg”, but at the time it was actually “cloud”; the pagure repo was renamed as part of all of the above.

Re: history

I definitely think there is value in understanding how we got here and why, both to ensure everyone’s on the same page, and to troubleshoot what went wrong so we can strive for improving process in the future, and hopefully avoid ending up in similar situations. Thanks Matthew (and everybody else) for taking the time to dig up references and provide context around past decisions. I do agree that at this point we should focus on the future, and that is Fedora 36.

Re: naming

I’m partial to keeping Fedora Cloud called as it is now, mostly because I don’t really see what the benefit would be in changing the name. We should definitely clean up and update the documentation so that it’s used consistently everywhere and strive to clarify possible ambiguities.

The way I see it, Fedora Cloud is the Edition and the Fedora Cloud Base image is one of our deliverables. There’s plenty of other deliverables we could produce to cover more specialized usecases and demonstrate best practices if there’s interest.

Re: why Cloud and not just Server

I touched on this before, but fundamentally Cloud and Server are different products targeting different usecases. We’ll put together a proper writeup on this, given that it seems one of the main points of confusion.

1 Like

Yeah, cool.

I’m open to some format other than “PRD” for this, although there are some essential elements of that I’d like to keep. I’m going to create a new thread for anyone interested in diving into the details of what this should look like going forward.

And here is that thread:

Hmmm. I either don’t understand this, or I disagree, or both. :slight_smile:

To me, an Edition is a deliverable. To resort to the dictionary, “an edition = a particular version of a product”. An edition with multiple deliverables doesn’t make sense to me. A Team can have multiple deliverable, one of which might be an Edition.

You said earlier “I see an Edition as a primary deliverable for Fedora that addresses a board market segment.”, which agrees with my understanding.

But I am not sure how to put the two together.

Ah, so in this example, the Server WG produces the Server Edition ISO, as well as the Server netinstall ISO, and the latter is not an edition?

I’m not sure if this strict “an edition is exactly one deliverable” make sense for the Cloud team (WG/SIG) though since there could be several very closely related images just for targeting different cloud providers?

Okay, so there’s some complication. :slight_smile: In this case, the “Edition” is the installed thing, which is (functionally) the same despite different installation paths. For cloud, I can see an image for GCE and an image for AWS having different deployment profiles and maybe even slightly different contents (cloud-init or whatever) all still being the same Edition. (In fact, I have strong belief lightly held that they should be!)

But what I mean is: if there’s a Base Image, but also a “MapReduce Image” and an “AI Image” (or whatever), that collectively doesn’t seem like it can be what we currently mean by Edition at all. But maybe there’s a different way of thinking about it that would fit the cloud problem space better than trying to shoehorn in the Edition naming anyway.

1 Like

So, what I think restates what you are saying above is that even though there may be a lot of variation between what is and is not possible at the platform layer, a Cloud install would be considered the same.
I hold the same belief, that is that it should be considered the same edition across all platforms.

I would love to be working on extending the efforts of the NeuroFedora team (naming one in particular) to make a deep learning Image, but I would still want it to be a Cloud edition since that is what will dictate it’s suitability for the various targeted environments. If the targeted workload can’t be used in a hybrid manner, then it might be better identified as a spin for a specific platform ecosystem.

1 Like

Sorry, I didn’t mean spin. I should have said that it was a platform specific solution.

I’ve posted a Correction of Errors report to the Cloud-SIg issues Issue #352: Cloud Working Group Correction Of Errors Report - cloud-sig - Pagure.io to review what we have learned so far. .

A Team can have multiple deliverable, one of which might be an Edition.

Btw, this one also confuses me. If Edition is a “big thing”, one of the larger Fedora efforts, then I would see it as a joint effort of multiple teams.

So rather than Teams having multiple deliverables, which may include editions, shouldn’t editions be the “umbrella” things for multiple teams to contribute?

Oh! So, yeah, there’s another key historical thing here. See Fedora Working Groups: Call for Self-Nominations - devel - Fedora Mailing-Lists. From that:

Each group will have at least one FESCo member, who will act as a
liaison to FESCo and as a representative of the group at FESCo meetings.

We would like each group to also have representation from other major
areas of Fedora - Quality Assurance, Infrastructure, Release
Engineering, Documentation, Design, Websites, Ambassadors, Feature
Wrangler, Marketing.

This is part of what we meant in creating “Working Groups”, a term we hadn’t used previously in Fedora. The idea was that this team brought together representatives from across the project. In practice (a lot because of struggles in non-engineering groups like docs, websites, ambassadors, marketing) this hasn’t kept up. Maybe it’s worth re-emphasizing this as we go forward, and in particular figuring out how we as Council can better support that.

I’m not reading this whole thread because woo boy, is it huge, but just to note one key thing - there really isn’t any ulterior motive here. I inadvertently caused this whole thing by filling out F35 validation tests at the last moment. I noticed the ‘self-identification test’ for Cloud had not been done, so I did it, and because I’m good at useless trivia, instead of just seeing that /etc/os-release said “something about Cloud” and marking it as passed, my brain stuck on it saying “Cloud Edition” when I was pretty sure we’d swapped in Atomic Host for Cloud as the “edition” years ago. Which is, in fact, what happened. So I filed a bug. All of this is just fallout from that.

This could’ve come up at any point in the last few years, but because no-one with my nitpicky mind happened to run this validation test and question the “edition” word, it didn’t.

2 Likes

sorry, just a further clarification - my bug was literally about taking two words out of the /etc/os-release file. It does not imply that any further change took place or is intended to take place. Nothing at all about the F35 release would’ve happened differently if I hadn’t filed that bug. It’s not as if Cloud was going to be an “edition” for F35 right up until the last second when some sudden decision was made that it wasn’t one. It was never planned or intended to be an “edition” of F35, as it was not an “edition” of F34 or F33 or any other release since - per the Wayback Machine - F25 (F25 was the first release where we listed Atomic instead of Cloud).

1 Like