Are LLMs meant to be included in this project?
If yes, since legal and policy questions are apparently part of this proposal, was there ever any discussion about how LLMs seem to have unresolved significant moral and ethical issues due to apparently not respecting FOSS licenses of the training data, yet apparently regularly they spit out the training data it out as-is?
Lawyer demoing Co-Pilot, he says “This is a copyright infringement” at some point: Consider not allowing LLM and AI contributions · Issue #38072 · mastodon/mastodon · GitHub
German court decision that seems to question fair use: Landmark ruling of the Munich Regional Court (GEMA v OpenAI) on copyright and AI training - Bird & Bird (I could be wrong, check it yourself and draw your own conclusion.)
Field study that seems to suggest up to %5 plagiarism rate in regular use: https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/3543507.3583199
High-profile incident of Microsoft apparently accidentally plagiarizing despite not intending to do so: Microsoft uses plagiarized AI slop flowchart to explain how Github works, removes it after original creator calls it out: 'Careless, blatantly amateuristic, and lacking any ambition, to put it gently' | PC Gamer
Study suggesting high performance of models corresponds to high amount of plagiarism: An evaluation on large language model outputs: Discourse and memorization - ScienceDirect
This article puts the plagiarism at around 10% and claims even latest stopgaps to make the models not accidentally do that don’t work: AI's Memorization Crisis - The Atlantic
I’m not a lawyer, this isn’t legal advice. I’m merely pointing out experts seem to think LLM use is under a lot of unresolved scrutiny.
If this AI desktop is meant to include LLMs for code, or to enable those, I think this raises questions about Fedora’s position regarding all of this. Also, if there are any plagiarism mitigation tools I guess that would also be helpful, although the common position seems to be (especially if you look at the last article I linked from The Atlantic) that no mitigations currently really work.
If this was ever discussed before or this is too off-topic, then I apologize.