Fedora 40 not working on T580 after clean install

Ahoy, how are you doing, friends? :slight_smile:

I’m currently experiencing major issues with my Lenovo Thinkpad T580. I am trying to perform a fresh and clean install of Fedora 40, but the system doesn’t boot at all after the installation. According to the journalctl logs (see the link below), it seems the issue might be related to Nouveau or something similar. When I install Fedora 39, there are no problems at all, so I think it might be due to the more recent kernels.

Even after a default install, I am unable to boot into the system properly. I can get to the login screen, but it takes about 10 minutes to get there, and I can’t proceed any further.

My system uses hybrid graphics, with an NVIDIA MX150 and Intel HD graphics.

What might be wrong here?

Thanks in advance!

Link to Pastebin

I think you are correct with the comment about nvidia.

1. On the nvidia site that GPU expects the 550.90 driver.
  2. You are using the nouveau driver
  3. Your log shows
Jun 08 00:12:00 fedora kernel: nouveau 0000:02:00.0: NVIDIA GP108 (138000a1)
Jun 08 00:12:00 fedora kernel: nouveau 0000:02:00.0: bios: version 86.08.28.00.64
Jun 08 00:12:00 fedora kernel: nouveau 0000:02:00.0: pmu: firmware unavailable

I suspect that if you use the grub menu during boot and press the e to edit the grub commands then on the line that begins with linux insert the nomodeset option before continuing to boot it will probably boot.

I then would enable the 3rd party repos during the setup and immediately install the nvidia drivers with sudo dnf install akmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-cuda and wait 5 minutes after that completes before rebooting.

I don’t know if you have secure boot enabled or disabled, but if you wish it enabled then (before installing the driver as described above)

1. install akmods with sudo dnf install akmods
    then
  2. follow the steps in the file /usr/share/doc/akmods/README.secureboot to create the key and enroll it into the bios.

After doing step 2 then the installation of the drivers should automatically provide a signed driver that can be loaded after it is installed.