Fedora 40: Issues with Firefox/Thunderbird Starter

I am using Fedora and Firefox/Thunderbird since many years without any issues.

But since upgrading from Fedora 38 to Fedora 40 something has changed.

There is a strange issue with the starters for Firefox and Thunderbird: both identify themselves as “org“ instead of Firefox or Thunderbird.

You can see it if you click on the icon in e.g. cairo-dock:

Issue_Firefox_1

Issue_Thunderbird_1

Even stranger: If you want to make them a launcher, gnome-abrt (Problem Reporting) is added to the dock:

Issue_Firefox_2

At least for Firefox this seems to be the root case:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/RenameFirefoxDesktopFile

After some searching, I found this similar discussion: After Fedora 40 upgrade: Desktop icon for default (base image) Firefox is missing in dash

There is also bug open for it: 2291177 – Allow to overwrite MOZ_DBUS_APP_NAME in /usr/bin/firefox

However, I was able to fix the issue for Firefox (but not for Thunderbird) by these steps as a workaround:

1. Issue commands:
sudo ln -s /usr/share/applications/org.mozilla.firefox.desktop /usr/local/share/applications/firefox.desktop
sudo update-desktop-database /usr/local/share/applications/
  1. Copy the Firefox starter script /usr/bin/firefox to your desktop or home directory and change this:
# We need to link Firefox with desktop file name
if [ -z "$MOZ_APP_REMOTINGNAME" ]
then
#  export MOZ_APP_REMOTINGNAME=org.mozilla.firefox    <----
  export MOZ_APP_REMOTINGNAME=firefox                 <----
fi
export MOZ_DBUS_APP_NAME=firefox
  1. Copy the modified script to /usr/local/bin

sudo cp firefox /usr/local/bin

After these changes, the Firefox launcher identifies itself as “Firefox” again and I was able to create a launcher (as in the past in Fedora 38 and earlier):

Issue_Firefox_9

Unfortunately I was not able to find a similar solution/workaround for Thunderbird.
Any ideas?

1 Like

f40, firefox, mozilla, thunderbird hinzugefügt und f38, gnome entfernt

Apparently you already found a solution, so yes, AFAIK this is the only workaround.

Yes and no: I found a solution for Firefox, but I don’t know how to resolve it for Thunderbird …

That was my thought too, but it is not a bug in cairo-dock, as I can add other programs like Amarok to the dock.
Amarok has also a starter name beginning with org: org.kde.amarok.desktop and can be added w/o any issues.
Another example is the Strawberry music player with the starter name: org.strawberrymusicplayer.strawberry.desktop - runs like a charm.
Only Firefox and Thunderbird are causing issues.
I guess something is missing for Thunderbird, but I do not know where to add it (like I did it for Firefox which works now).