Fedora 39 will not boot properly on libvirt VM with default graphics

A new clean install of F39 into a VM using libvirt does not properly boot. Rather it boots but graphics do not work. I am using virt-manager for config. My host is also F39, but the same happened on an F38 host.

I installed F39 live using the release version iso and it fails to open graphics properly when configured default.

The default config is for video SPICE and display VIRTIO which fails. Switching display to QXL works.

I seem to recall several cases where VIRTIO has failed but QXL has worked and wonder why VIRTIO would be set as the default. It fails with windows 10 and ubuntu 22.04 LTS as well.

I tested it right now and I can not confirm this. I not use an additional graphics drivers for my Device.
Could it be because you are using Nvidia GPU with additional drivers?

inxi -G
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel
  Device-2: Sunplus Innovation [] driver: snd-usb-audio,uvcvideo type: USB
  Display: wayland server: X.Org v: 23.2.2 with: Xwayland v: 23.2.2
    compositor: gnome-shell v: 45.1 driver: X: loaded: modesetting
    unloaded: fbdev,vesa dri: crocus gpu: i915 resolution: 2560x1080~60Hz
  API: OpenGL v: 4.2 vendor: intel mesa v: 23.2.1 renderer: Mesa Intel HD
    Graphics 4000 (IVB GT2)
  API: EGL Message: EGL data requires eglinfo. Check --recommends.

Note that this is related to graphics within the VM, not on the host.

As stated, the default display setting in the VM seems to be VIRTIO and it fails to function while switching it to QXL does function.

$ inxi -G
Graphics:
  Device-1: Red Hat QXL paravirtual graphic card driver: qxl v: kernel
  Display: wayland server: X.Org v: 23.2.1 with: Xwayland v: 23.2.1
    compositor: gnome-shell v: 45.0 driver: dri: swrast gpu: qxl
    resolution: 1360x768~60Hz
  API: OpenGL v: 4.5 vendor: mesa v: 23.2.1 renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 16.0.6
    256 bits)

Strangely, I just rechecked and was able to switch back to VIRTIO on the VM and it now functions. This in spite of 3 different attempts shortly before i opened this thread.

$ inxi -G
Graphics:
  Device-1: Red Hat Virtio 1.0 GPU driver: virtio-pci v: 1
  Display: wayland server: X.Org v: 23.2.2 with: Xwayland v: 23.2.2
    compositor: gnome-shell v: 45.1 driver: dri: swrast gpu: virtio-pci
    resolution: 1280x800~75Hz
  API: OpenGL v: 4.5 vendor: mesa v: 23.2.1 renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 16.0.6
    256 bits)

Guess it can be closed as solved.

You probably observed that gnome-shell and xwayland versions changed, while testing between qxl and virtio?

Yes, I did update F39 from the initial install with kernel 6.5.6 to 6.5.11 in between those 2 times of running inxi

My observation was before I did the update it began to work, but I had done the same yesterday and it failed.

Yesterday I built the VM and it failed with VIRTIO as noted, even with several reboots and (at that time) an upgrade to kernel 6.5.10.

I removed the VM and built a new one today and it still failed. This was before your first reply. Today after your reply I tried again and this time it worked. I then did the upgrade and it still works.

My first inxi post was before I did the upgrade. I then switched back to virtio and it worked, so I then did the upgrade and tested again to determine it still worked. I then did the last inxi posted.

I am not sure what may have caused the change in performance but it did work.
I had done an update on the host later in the day yesterday but do not recall if that included updates to either libvirt or qemu. The update today on the VM certainly contained both.

It seems likely that whatever changes were contained in the latest update resolved the issue for me.

1 Like