Let’s keep track of the issues currently affecting Fedora 33 beta with Silverblue. (Some of these will most likely affect Fedora 33 non-Silverblue too.)
Additionally, every one of these issues should have a bug somewhere. If it’s not filed yet, let’s make sure to get it filed and make it known.
Toolbox: cannot find name for group ID 1000
- Issue: https://github.com/containers/toolbox/issues/523
- It’s fixed upstream, but still affecting Silverblue 33; we need a new version of toolbox
- Workaround: Add
YOURNAME:x:1000(with your log in) to
/etc/groupinside the toolbox.
- Appears fixed in Silverblue 33.20201011.n.0 now
Toolbox: Apps that use X11 do not work in toolboxes (when in Wayland)
- This is a problem with XWayland changing the location of its socket
- Issue filed @ https://github.com/containers/toolbox/issues/562
- PR: https://github.com/containers/toolbox/pull/564
- Workaround: in your toolbox container, run
sudo ln -s /run/host/tmp/.X11-unix /tmp/— although it may need more symlinks, such as those @ https://github.com/containers/toolbox/pull/564/files#diff-23693e33d16d7a0d58faab3fb994bce1R70-R74
- Still an issue in Silverblue 33.20201011.n.0
Flatpak: Some apps do not work in X11, but do work in Wayland
- Using X11 so that toolboxes work at the moment means not being able to access several flatpaks (broken on X11, but working in Wayland).
- Issue: https://github.com/flatpak/flatpak/issues/3880
Input issues: In X11, mouse and touchpad settings are not respected, including natural scrolling detection
- I haven’t found or filed an issue for this one yet. I need to test it more and make sure it’s acting differently on Wayland versus X11.
- Workaround: Go to mouse & touchpad settings and toggle the settings.
- Due to the workaround, I think it might be a GNOME settings bug, but it could also be related to libinput. Additionally, it might be fallout from general X11 & Wayland wonkiness that’s also currently affecting Flatpak and Toolbox.
$HOSTNAMEis not in a toolbox container.
- issue: https://github.com/containers/toolbox/issues/558
- it seems some people hit this and others do not
- Appears fixed; cannot reproduce on my test VM which previously did have this issue
Toolbox: created toolbox fails to start: open /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ping_group_range: Permission denied: OCI runtime permission denied error
- issue: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1882136
- Tied to a kernel version.
- 5.8.10-300.fc33 is affected.
- 5.8.11-300.fc33 is in Silverblue 33.20200929.n.0 (2020-09-29T08:06:48Z) seems fine though?
- Appears fixed; cannot reproduce
If you come across more issues, please post here. If you can or cannot replicate the above list, also please comment.
Please include your version of Silverblue when commenting please (found with
rpm-ostree status — it’s the one with the dot). For reference, mine is 33.20200929.n.0 (2020-09-29T08:06:48Z), base commit: 215677333515cc11110cf016a4cbb021eb929b552f5ed25bb6d403c9f19c1a4a