Fedora 32 KDE spin AMD sound AWOL on older tower computer

$ lspci -v | grep -i audio 00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) (rev 40) 01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GP108 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
Audio Production group from Fedora Jam spin installed.

I just yesterday installed Fedora 32 KDE spin on an older home built tower computer of mine. Most other distros automagically install the correct drivers for sound to work out of the box. Unfortunately, I discovered that there was no sound on the tower computer after my laptop sound card packed it up and I was going to use the tower to make a Skype call, which I of course couldn’t without sound working… Any ideas? I assume the correct driver didn’t get installed, but I actually don’t know.

In the process of migrating all of my computers to Fedora 32, but I have only been using Fedora for a few days…

I should add that the tower computer has an ASRock 970 Pro3 revision 2 motherboard and Fedora 32 was installed as UEFI, rather than legacy mode, which I have been using in the past on this computer.

It now appears to be a configuration issue related to my monitor (Asus PA246) speakers. I am supposed to connect a mini jack cable to the monitor “when an HDMI or DisplayPort signal is fed”. The ASRock 970 Pro3 revision 2 motherboard has a number of mini jack outputs on the back and front of the computer, however none of them seem to work with the monitor speakers. I have also tried switching the default output source between HDMI and analog built-in line out, but there seems to be no change (and no sound). However, if I connect the computer by the same mini jack cable to a portable speaker, I do get audio,

1 Like