Fedora 32 Dual Boot

Good Morning Everyone!
I have a similar situation to the other users.
After following some instructions to install Fedora 3x alongside windows, I am not presented with the opportunity to select an OS. The system just boots to Fedora. No GRUB boot menu.
Here is some info that may prove useful in your response:
I have my BIOS set to AUTO with EUFI first then LEGACY.
This will boot Fedora, with no boot menu. Just goes right to Fedora.
If i set it to EUFI only, no OS is found.
Using GPartED, i can see that the windows partitions are still intact.
Will the aforementioned GRUB commands fix this?
I have no idea what GRUB does but previous discussions on this topic show that it handles boot time stuff.
Thank you so much!
BS

1 Like

This is most likely a Grub configuration issue where the timeout is set to 0. Check your /boot/grub2/grub.cfg for the set timeout setting or paste your configuration here:

$ sudo fpaste /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

Thanks Striker,
I looked at the grub.cfg and there are several places that reference a set timeout.
Since it is largely gibberish to me, I’ll post the file.
Thanks for your help.
BS

I hit the ESC key a bunch of times and got the boot menu to show.
However, windows is not an option, which is the problem I want to solve.
I am going to be using Fedora most of the time, so I don’t care if it boots by default.
Any idea on how to fix this? How do I get windows to show up in the boot menu?

Thanks!

Have you installed the ntfs file system to recognize Windows ntfs files for mulitboot?

The NTFS packages are only needed when you want to mount an NTFS device from within Fedora. It is not needed for Grub to have an entry pointing to the device.

One thing you can try is to regenerate the Grub configuration. Depending on whether you are using UEFI or Legacy, this process can be different, so let me know what your BIOS is set for.

Additionally, you can install the os-prober package and then execute it with sudo:

$ sudo os-prober

This will show you if additional “bootable” partitions are found and what their labels are - a good test to find out if your other partitions are “broken” or not.

1 Like

Well, I didn’t install anything other than Fedora 32.
I shrank the Windows partition using windows disk manager and then booted with a live USB and installed Fedora in the new un-allocated space.
As far as I can tell, all of the windows partitions and files are intact and unchanged.
It’s just been hijacked by the Fedora installation.
I attached a GPartEd screenshot.
Left-hand side is the Windows stuff and the right side is Fedora.

1 Like

I enjoy using the multi operating system environment very much, but my main operating system is Fedora, but I use it as my main operating system for desktops and laptops.

In the aforementioned part, I was able to confirm such a state for the tendency to not recognize the actual disk structure, and for the part that actually works when configuring multiple environments through actual grub.

I think there is a part that can be easily recognized by installing the file support system in case of a system auto-recognition problem, whether it is uefi or mbr(legacy) in the above partition configuration.

I have a main boot manager managed by Fedora on 4 hard disks & 1 usb, and there is no problem with real Windows operating system recognition. However…mbr method is used.

[root@fores simmon]# rpm -qa|grep ntfs
ntfs-3g-system-compression-1.0-2.fc31.x86_64
ntfs-3g-devel-2017.3.23-12.fc31.x86_64
ntfs-3g-2017.3.23-12.fc31.x86_64
ntfsprogs-2017.3.23-12.fc31.x86_64

In the part I answered earlier, it also works normally for the os recognition part.

[root@fores simmon]# os-prober
 /dev/sdc1:Windows 10:Windows:chain

sorry, because of the time difference, the answer was late.
I answered in hopes that it would help a little. Have a good day with health care…

OK, you lost me.
Your screen shot is a command-line version of your partition table, cool.
What’s the rest of it?
I get errors with these commands.
Are you suggesting that I should change the boot flag on my windows boot partition to MBR?
The time difference is not a problem. I am in no hurry.
Thanks

What you are using is a UEFI-style partition configuration, and it depends on the configuration method applied to multi-boot, so apply the uefi configuration from the link below.

https://docs.pagure.org/docs-fedora/the-grub2-bootloader.html

It describes the multi-boot environment configuration well with mbr I applied. Therefore, my answer above can be applied when configuring with mbr, and apply to your way of applying uefi configuration in the link above.

Thank you.
I will give it a try.