Fedora 31 installation trouble detecting nvme, asus vivobook

I can’t get the fedora 31 installer to find the nvme device in an asus vivobook F512F

bios is megatrends 2.20.1271

Only way I can get it to boot from a USB device is to boot windows and do the shift+restart thing to get to tell it to reboot for a UEFI firmware change.

That makes the USB drive visible and gets it to boot Fedora LIVE fine but without the SSD visible so no way to install. Fast boot disabled, secure boot doesn’t seem to matter.

LIVE seems to run OK. Grep’ing dmesg says it has seen the nvme device.

I saw somewhere[forgotten] setting the SATA mode to AHCI fixes this… unfortunately that makes it not boot at all, instead it flops into self repair mode and boots windows the next time round restart.

Anyone got any bright ideas?

cheers,
jon.

Also:
Once LIVE has booted the nvme module has not been loaded.
Loading by hand before run installer makes no difference.

Ubuntu 19 behaves the same.

Installing linux on this box has me defeated :frowning:

jon.

I think your fast and safe way to solve it is contact with Asus support. I know it is than you didn’t look here but I think it should be the best option.

Regards.

Oh well, @xtym you know what the answer could be?

you need use boot live uefi mode install, you can use yumi boot, or rufus, but its necessary in uefi installed.

before you installed, reset all config to factory

@alciregi possibly yes, but i think is good leave know to them that the users also want others things and not only windows and i always want believe than in his forum (asus forum) exits users than can help. I don’t know really much about Asus but one should try at leats to know if deserve or not buy his PC laptops in the future.

At this point comments to the OP that try install /change the RAID driver to AHCI driver through windows and see if it changes anything. But i still think that should be good ask asus at leats in its forum.

Don’t understand bad me, please

Regards

1 Like

No no, you are right. Good to let them know that there are also Linux users buying their products.
What I want to say, is that contacting support, most of the time the person who keep in charge your request will limit to say: “sorry, we don’t support Linux”.

1 Like

@jonwells if your bios have one option called Intel RST/Optane please disable it and change after to AHCI and try add this parameters after quiet splash at the live install:
nvme_load=YES nvd_load=YES

Maybe it does the trick.

Regards.

As said initially machine doesn’t boot at all with the sata mode set to AHCI.

It looks like the nvme device is accessed no matter what boot device has been selected and that doesn’t work in AHCI mode. So It fails to find any kind of bootable device, resets to factory defaults and restarts.

I gave up, stuck a SATA SSD into it, binned the nvme gizmo.

jon.