Fedora 30 / branching / remotes?

I updated to F30 and, while gnome shell is running just fine, one thing that stops me from using it is that at boot up, the login screen does not show up immediately but stays black. By pressing the power button twice (stand by and wake up) the login screen appears (sometimes). Has anyone experienced this issue, too? Could it be related to the flicker-free boot and if yes, does anyone know how to turn it off for the moment?

I’ve not experienced your issue (still on F29), but Hans de Goede has a FAQ about flicker-free boot on Fedora.

Maybe there is something from there you can try?

for me flicker-free boot doesnt work at all on the nvidia driver. the same rpmfusion driver on normal fedora 30 works fine on flicker-free boot. is there a way to get it work on silverblue?

Does anyone know why I cannot install my paramount programs exa, fd-find, ripgrep and tokei anymore on F30?

I think it’s because they’re now modules. However, the next version of rpm-ostree will understand modules to some degree; see core: Don't exclude modular packages by jlebon · Pull Request #1797 · coreos/rpm-ostree · GitHub

Ah cool! So this should work in a few days, I guess, with being included in 2019.3 from yesterday. :smiley:

Sadly now with rpm-ostree 2019.3 those Rust programs still aren’t available. :confused: At least fd-find is in regular Fedora since 28. Any idea?

Thanks for your suggestion! Unfortunately, things did not improve on my XPS15 2-in-1 and now after selecting the SB30 boot entry my screen remains black. I also tried a clean install of SB29 and then rebase to SB30 and again directly installing SB30 using the beta iso, but both did not help. I also tried the Fedora 30 Beta Live iso and booting into the live system works. Additionally, SB30 works like a charm on my old laptop as well as on the Thinkpads of my colleagues. I don’t really know what to do now as I cannot see any error message or message at all during boot :frowning:

At least fd-find is in regular Fedora since 28. Any idea?

OK so another issue is we’d also disabled the fedora-modular repo as a workaround for rpm-ostree not understanding modules. Try setting enabled=1 in /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-modular.repo. I verified that I was able to rpm-ostree install ripgrep after that. I am not finding fd-find as a package in Fedora though?

That said, bigger picture I personally tend to live in my toolbox container, rather than installing things like ripgrep etc. on my host.

I’m not sure what the heck is going on with fd-find, they have F29 and F31 releases but no F30: https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/fd-find

Off and on, over the past several release cycles, I have had issues with both Plymouth (the login screen) and Gnome. One issue that kept coming up was on my brother in law’s AMD Ryzen powered box, was maybe similar. His machine would randomly present the blank screen at login that pressing the power button to resume would allow him to login. Also it would randomly reboot. It would come and go with updates, and we never pinned it down. I switched his machine over to Silverblue 29 and he hasn’t had the issue since. On my machine, AMD Phenom II powered, I will randomly get logged out if I close Evolution by the X window close button in Gnome. This comes and goes as the release cycles happen, and is happening on SB as well as did happen on Fedora Work Station.

Your tip helped! But I need those programs on my system and not just in my development environmant since I use exa, ripgrep and fd all day long.

@refi64 I pinged the packager of fd-find/tokei. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your comment! I have found out that hammering F12 while booting actually helps (so that the text mode is shown at least once at boot time), although I have no idea why this is necessary… I followed the guide about flicker-free boot to disable it by removing rhgb from the command line but that did not do the trick. Instead I killed the system by updating grub using grub2-mkconfig instead of using rpm-ostree. Nvm, lessons learned, now I can enjoy my SB30 installation =)

Do you have AMD GPUs too? Or just the processor?

I am “lucky” enough to have not just one but two AMD GPU’s on my system! One came as part of the mobo, the other is an off-brand (Saphire) Radeon clone. I have a Gigabyte board, which is one of those “at the cusp” UHD3 mobo’s during the transition from BIOS to EFI so it “blends” the features and benefits of both. What this translates to is basically not quite right for anything, for instance I have USB 3.0 on the board, but manufacturers (even Gigabyte) don’t make the type of connector to mate with the board header to connect the wonderful usb3.0 to the outside world, so I had to source the parts and build one. Just saying, the hardware manufacturers could go a long way to making this computing life easier.

You’re welcome. The menu for grub defaults to 0 seconds time out so pressing any alphanumeric key at boot up will pause it for selections. C or E key will enter the grub command line.

Could we please keep discussion on topic of the branches and remotes instead of turning this thread to a generic F30 discussion please?

Will the updates be a different remote in this release too?