Fedor31, cannot install updates, system still thinks it is Fedora 29 which is not supportrd

A few days ago I went through the network based update process to upgrade my Asus laptop from Fedora 29 to Fedora 31.

However when I am notified of pending updates and clickk on install button I am informed that Fedora 29 is no longer supported.

1 Like

That generally indicates that the update did not complete successfully. Did you observe any errors during the process?

Can you please paste the output of these commands:

$ cat /etc/os-release

$ rpm -qa \*release\*

$ sudo dnf repolist

Thankyou Francisco

Commands and output below:-

[Carl@localhost ~]$ cat /etc/os-release
NAME=Fedora
VERSION="29 (Workstation Edition)"
ID=fedora
VERSION_ID=29
VERSION_CODENAME=""
PLATFORM_ID="platform:f29"
PRETTY_NAME="Fedora 29 (Workstation Edition)"
ANSI_COLOR="0;34"
LOGO=fedora-logo-icon
CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:fedoraproject:fedora:29"
HOME_URL="https://fedoraproject.org/"
DOCUMENTATION_URL="https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fedora/f29/system-administrators-guide/"
SUPPORT_URL="https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicating_and_getting_help"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugzilla.redhat.com/"
REDHAT_BUGZILLA_PRODUCT="Fedora"
REDHAT_BUGZILLA_PRODUCT_VERSION=29
REDHAT_SUPPORT_PRODUCT="Fedora"
REDHAT_SUPPORT_PRODUCT_VERSION=29
PRIVACY_POLICY_URL="https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:PrivacyPolicy"
VARIANT="Workstation Edition"
VARIANT_ID=workstation

[Carl@localhost ~]$ rpm -qa \*release\*
rpmfusion-nonfree-release-29-1.noarch
fedora-release-29-11.noarch
rpmfusion-free-release-29-1.noarch
fedora-release-workstation-29-11.noarch

[Carl@localhost ~]$ 
[Carl@localhost ~]$ sudo dnf repolist
[sudo] password for Carl: 
Sorry, try again.
[sudo] password for Carl: 
Fedora Modular 29 - x86_64                                                                9.8 kB/s | 6.1 kB     00:00    
Fedora Modular 29 - x86_64 - Updates                                                      8.6 kB/s | 6.0 kB     00:00    
Fedora 29 - x86_64 - Updates                                                               10 kB/s | 6.1 kB     00:00    
Fedora 29 - x86_64                                                                        8.3 kB/s | 6.2 kB     00:00    
google-chrome                                                                             6.6 kB/s | 1.3 kB     00:00    
RPM Fusion for Fedora 29 - Free - Updates                                                 6.0 kB/s |  14 kB     00:02    
RPM Fusion for Fedora 29 - Free                                                           9.0 kB/s |  15 kB     00:01    
RPM Fusion for Fedora 29 - Nonfree - Updates                                              8.5 kB/s |  14 kB     00:01    
RPM Fusion for Fedora 29 - Nonfree                                                         12 kB/s |  15 kB     00:01    
repo id                                         repo name                                                           status
fedora                                          Fedora 29 - x86_64                                                  58,200
fedora-modular                                  Fedora Modular 29 - x86_64                                               3
google-chrome                                   google-chrome                                                            3
rpmfusion-free                                  RPM Fusion for Fedora 29 - Free                                        596
rpmfusion-free-updates                          RPM Fusion for Fedora 29 - Free - Updates                              316
rpmfusion-nonfree                               RPM Fusion for Fedora 29 - Nonfree                                     228
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates                       RPM Fusion for Fedora 29 - Nonfree - Updates                            77
updates                                         Fedora 29 - x86_64 - Updates                                        22,074
updates-modular                                 Fedora Modular 29 - x86_64 - Updates                                    28

I did not observe any error messages but since I do not watch boiling pots, grass growing and long running computer updates not surprising.

1 Like

Well as you see from the output, your upgrade did not go through correctly. Everything on your system suggests that it’s still running a Fedora 29 system.

What about the general packages, are they still Fedora 29? This will provide us with a count. Remove the wc -l at the end to see the list:

$ rpm -qa | grep fc29 | wc -l

$ rpm -qa | grep fc31 | wc -l

Yep, plenty of fc29 packages none for fc30 or fc31

[Carl@localhost ~]$ rpm -qa | grep fc31 | wc -l
[Carl@localhost ~]$ rpm -qa | grep fc30 | wc -l
[Carl@localhost ~]$ rpm -qa | grep fc29 | wc -l

Looks like unlike pots and grass, Linux installs and upgrades need watching.

Next time I will read the upgrade documentation before attempting and will sit and watch.

Thanks Francisco, your help is very useful. Regards The Evil One.

1 Like

Francisco,How do I mark your reply #4 as solution?

Much thanks.

Regards

1 Like

Hrm, that indicates the upgrade failed :thinking:

Perhaps try again. Are these the steps you followed? Your downloaded bits should still be cached hopefully:

If you click on the three dots below the post, it’ll show you additional options. A tick mark should be there (maybe you need enough experience points on the forum to do this, though. Take a look at the introductory post in the #start-here category to learn more about how Discourse works).

I finally got around to doing a network upgrade to Fedora31. In order not to miss any signs of failure I watched the console messages appearing until after a couple of hours they stopped updating. After no messages for a considerable time I concluded that the upgrade had failed and I rebooted but the computer booted into Fedora 31 and I have been using it successfully for several weeks and gone through at least 2 update cycles so obviously the install worked but I am troubled by the lack of a message saying words to the effect, update successful".

Is this completion of update without a confirmation message normal? If not is there some program that can be run to check whether an install/upgrade is OK?

Iirc after a succesful upgrade the machine will reboot automatically. You can have a look at log files in /var/log/dnf*log.
To see what fedora version you are running try commands FranciscoD already mentioned earlier in this thread https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/fedor31-cannot-install-updates-system-still-thinks-it-is-fedora-29-which-is-not-supportrd/72344/2 .

1 Like