Nick says: “The current state of IRC is a dumpster fire”
- Freenode taking over channels is an escalation
- We’ve taken our Matrix bridges down as an emergency measure
- We did get #fedora-pl back
- Libera channels are getting set up
- We have cloaks!
- registering channels now needs to go through our group contacts (nb, spot, nirik)
- pagure repo for creating channels now
- plan to send out this announcement today:
Draft IRC announcement: HackMD - Collaborative Markdown Knowledge Base
We will change channel topics to “This is no longer an official Fedora Project channel. See IRC Announcement – Fedora Community Blog for more information.”
Our bots will come off of freenode. It’d be nice to have still there them telling people to move, but we really don’t want to pick a fight, and freenode doesn’t seem to want that, so there’s no reason to be antagonistic
It’s fine if freenode wants to run unofficial Fedora channels as long as they follow our trademark guidelines. It does need to not be confusing to users.
Discussion about docs update. It’s harder than just a search and replace, since pages like “my nick on freenode is mattdm” shouldn’t.
Swag and Budget
Planned new logo stuff: New Swag for the New Fedora Logo - HackMD
Because most of our budget usually goes to Flock and to travel, we have a significant budget surplus.
Suggestion of KLF-style burning of cash was shouted down. We should do something useful with this instead!
Looking for new mentorship/internship programs, as GSOC has changed and isn’t really a good match for Fedora anymore.
- suggestion: “season of KDE”
Survey to go live on June 1st. (URL redacted because it’s not ready to go live yet.)