F42 Change Proposal: Fedora Plasma Workstation (System-Wide)

As a Sway user, I believe that this proposal is biased and resembles a user forum post. The statement ‘Plasma provides a more traditional user experience’ would suffice. The other points, such as ‘standardization support,’ seem like an attempt to justify the statement, even if they are not relevant. Aren’t all members involved in the standards? If most standards were led by Sway, would that influence Fedora’s defaults? Yes, KDE is doing a great work on the standards, but I don’t see how it makes it more suitable as a default from the others.

Similarly, suggesting that OpenMandriva switch to Xfce as the default desktop environment due to issues with KDE themes causing home directory wipes or occasional crashes (both of which are fixable) or asking Mint to switch from Cinnamon because it does not support Wayland yet, would not be taken seriously. Fedora is Gnome’s main distribution, changing that will only cause bumps in their relationship.

No offense but I believe the main proposal author’s biases should be taken into account. It is no secret, as multiple blog posts have been written about it, that they do not have a good relationship with Gnome.

I am against multiple choices on the installer, I chose Fedora Sway because it is opinionated and focuses on my needs. The team behind it cares about providing the best experience from top to bottom. It does not feel like another choice just to please a minority, which is something I cannot say about almost any other distro out there.

I suggest a homepage with two buttons prominently displaying ‘Workstation’ and ‘Spins’.

13 Likes