F40 Change Proposal: Unify /usr/bin and /usr/sbin (System-Wide)

Sure, but there are a bunch of older programs that just check for “am I root”. Theoretically those could reasonably be separate. Then, over time, we’d presumably have fewer and fewer of them.

It might be a separate issue now, but it definitely didn’t used to be. /usr/bin/httpd, and so on. In the interest of petty but satisfying organization, maybe these things should be gradually moved to libexec. But I don’t really care very strongly.

I think we’re just “arguing” for the sake of Saturday evening discussion :wink: I don’t think there’s any real disagreement…

Sure, but there are a bunch of older programs that just check for “am I root”. Theoretically those could reasonably be separate. Then, over time, we’d presumably have fewer and fewer of them.

OK. Then what will happen with them over time is that they’ll either become more versatile, e.g. growing --dry-run options and non-root operation, or they will be moved out of the $PATH. In the first case, moving them eagerly to /usr/bin is OK, because that’s they’d end up anyway, and in the second case, it doesn’t matter.