(F38) Update progress missing

Hello,

lately I noticed that update progress is somehow missing during the updates installation (during restart). Once I restart, I’m getting just black screen. Updates are apparently installed in the background since after a while I get logged into gnome; but it is making me nervous.

Is there a way to get it back?

If you are allowing the system to do the update during the restart it will shudown, boot minimally to do the update, then restart fully. What you are probably seeing is the minimal restart (not a full boot) during the update process.

If you do not like that then when you do the restart watch for the checkbox to enable the update. Uncheck that box and it will skip the update during the restart.

I do not like that either, and I disabled the offline update that causes it by doing
sudo systemctl disable packagekit-offline-update.service & sudo systemctl mask packagekit-offline-update.service

I have never seen any progress status indicator with the offline update process.

The thing is I actually didn’t do anything, but I think it started after some update. The service which you posted I don’t have running:

❯ sudo systemctl status packagekit-offline-update.service
[sudo] password for peter: 
○ packagekit-offline-update.service - Update the operating system whilst offline
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/packagekit-offline-update.service; static)
    Drop-In: /usr/lib/systemd/system/service.d
             └─10-timeout-abort.conf
     Active: inactive (dead)

I don’t mind restarting PC after I install updates. I just don’t like that I don’t see the progress which was there for 2-3 years since I have fedora instalated.

What I also noticed is that during these restarts for updates it doesn’t show grub menu. Normally I have also W10 on other disk (for some games which don’t work properly on Linux) , but it doesn’t show either. I’m quite sure that it was there in the past during these (install) restarts.