F33 and UHD Graphics 630

cit.: “What I have to do ?”

same part as where you edit the comand-/boot line in grub, just type/add “i915…” in that line with an blank before and after the whole string
be aware:
keyboard is in english, so double check what you typed, before hitting “Crtl+x”

and always remove the “nomodeset” as long as we/you test.
hint:
editing the boot line in grub just survives only one boot, so you need to do it ever and ever again, when you restart the box, until we edit /etc/default/grub and recreate the grub’s start files.

at now I let it as is, cause somehow “nomodeset” came somehow in. Why and how: don’t know.

Silverheart,
About 3 posts above it was suggested that you remove the “nomodeset rhgb quiet” from the end of the kernel command line in the grub menu then boot that way.
In both of those dmesg outputs you posted I see that was not done.

The same post told you how to add “i915.enable_guc=2” to the kernel command line.

[    0.000000] Command line: BOOT_IMAGE=(hd0,gpt6)/root/boot/vmlinuz-5.10.22-200.fc33.x86_64 root=UUID=c50f8dcd-5625-47c9-8de0-f0d3819f9f6b ro rootflags=subvol=root nomodeset rhgb quiet

[    0.000000] Command line: BOOT_IMAGE=(hd0,gpt6)/root/boot/vmlinuz-5.8.15-301.fc33.x86_64 root=UUID=c50f8dcd-5625-47c9-8de0-f0d3819f9f6b ro rootflags=subvol=root nomodeset rhgb quiet

Have you followed that suggestion to see if there was any difference?

thanks @JV, good catch

Maybe I have expained unclear, but when I remove the “nomodeset rhgb quiet” from the end of the kernel command line in the grub menu then boot that way - Fedora does NOT boot in general. In start I see dmesg messages on the screen, after the second monitor off and I see only blink monitor indicator. I reset the comp by pressing reset button and Fedora boot in conditions that I get above.

I guess no, cause you said it had the correct resolution, so we know that already.

as I said:
do all the tests without “nomodeset rhgb quiet” [1]
cause

• without “nomodeset” you/we will see what happens when your GPU gets initialized
  • without “rhgb quiet” you’ll make all boot messages visible during boot.

if it crashes here it is worth to setup an serial console (if a 2. box and serial cable are available) and/ or take a photo with an digicam.
alas I need to say that my knowledge isn’t current to setup an serial console - I only have done before grub has changed -

anyone can help out ?

[1]
do only one shot with “i915.enable_guc=2” boot parameter.
if it doesn’t fix it, always stay without “nomodeset rhgb quiet”.

===
another idea (remembering kernel install error on another box):
how many kernels are currently installed on your box ?

ll /boot/ | grep vmlinuz | wc -l

if you get more then 1:

• reboot to the oldest kernel
  • open an terminal and key in:

rpm -qa | grep kernel-core

• remove the newest kernel
  • and reinstall the newest kernel with

sudo dnf install kernel

does the kernel installation runs without any errors ?
yes, then boot it with the removed boot parameter (see above)
does this kernel or any kernel boot to an login prompt and are you able to login ?

I guess at least one kernel does not, as IIRC from what you told

I missed that :+1:

Now I have only 2 kernels and they have same behaviour:
vmlinuz-5.10.22-200.fc33.x86_64
vmlinuz-5.8.15-301.fc33.x86_64
But may I pay attention to vmlinuz-0-rescue-e5ba59370eb24affa0ed000e
5ca3af89?

cit.: “Fedora does NOT boot in general

with all kernels ?
if yes, then I’m pretty confident that you got a GPU /GPU driver problem.

as said:
what happens is only catchable with an “serial console”.
A serial console doubles the output during boot to another computer.
So one can see everything even while the the buggy box crashes the graphic and shuts the display down.

the easiest way I would recommend:
Do an new clean Fedora install.
and this time without network connection.
Why ?
AFAIK, during the installation Fedora fetches the newest packages (and of course the newest kernel) from the internet (I’m unsure being so long in the “upgrade camp” only).
you said the resolution with the install DVD was correct, then you should stay with only that package set, esp. the kernel from the DVD.
so LAN/WIFI needs to be OFF for that part.

you could do an

dmesg | grep -iEw ‘bad|bug| … …|trace|warn’

when the DVD has booted and before the you start the install.
it might be worth to save an dmesg > my_dmesg.txt to an usb stick even in the case it contains errors or just for later comparison.

from the video:
if you first move the cursor in front of “initrd” and only go back you don’t need to step through the whole linux line (quicker)

rescue mode
maybe a way to also fetch the boot output, check that !
AFAIK, no need to adjust the bootparameter in that mode.

BTW:
I see your password is like mine (5 stars) :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

In the dmesg output you see this

[    0.085726] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=(hd0,gpt6)/root/boot/vmlinuz-5.8.15-301.fc33.x86_64 root=UUID=c50f8dcd-5625-47c9-8de0-f0d3819f9f6b ro rootflags=subvol=root nomodeset rhgb quiet
[    0.085760] You have booted with nomodeset. This means your GPU drivers are DISABLED
[    0.085760] Any video related functionality will be severely degraded, and you may not even be able to suspend the system properly
[    0.085761] Unless you actually understand what nomodeset does, you should reboot without enabling it

and the pic you just posted shows the nomodeset in the kernel command line

Since the issue appears to be with the gpu, and this is apparently a new motherboard with (it seems) built in graphics I wonder what is different between booting from the live USB with proper resolution and booting from the installed version.

Maybe you could give us the dmesg output when booted from the live image, and the output of “inxi -CGxx” at the same time. (yes, I know you would have to install inxi on the live image but that should not be a problem with the amount of ram you have.)

It actually appears that a driver for the video is in the live image but does not get installed. Seeing what the differences in those 2 outputs tell us may give a pointer in which driver to install.

I just boot from USB. And I accent, normal boot is impossible - see video above, only " Troubleshooting → Start Fedora KDE Live 33 in basic graphic mode" allows me to boot. This is dmesg:
https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/6zmqn99v2k/
My password only 6 symbols because I entered them 100500 times last 3 day. Usually I have more strong passwords :slight_smile:
Sorry for my silence - I was banned by fedoraproject on 25 minutes for spam o_O.

you didn’t catch my joke:
everyone see’s only “stars” when one keys in the password (it appears as the same password)

anyway, I guess you installed Fedora under the Troubleshooting Mode, too.
it would reveal why nomodeset was default set.

I guessed about it later :slight_smile:
Have i give “inxi -CGxx” from live system? You, maybe, have tired from me already? I guess, that my trouble in new hardware (motherboard, CPU?) and kernel can’t working properly with it. Maybe I have to wait some times until kernel developers fix it? If yes - it will be disaster for me :frowning:

• you absolutely right!

the GPU is buildin the CPU, but your catch might be okay. it’s a new motherboard with a new chipset, maybe unknown by the current kernel.

okay, then it seem one is unknown/unsupported/buggy with the 5.11 kernel (GPU or mainboard chipset).
care to try a newer, a rawhide kernel (5.12)?
be aware they are under heavy development and contains bugs.

https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=8
one for Fedora 35 ?

• get what kernel packages are currently installed on your box via

rpm -qa | grep kernel

• download all the equal packages for your arch (x86_64 ?)

in an terminal

sudo dnf localinstall *.rpm

• reboot with and without nomodeset

resolution okay now with 5.12 ?

NO:
revert the kernel installation via

sudo dnf history undo xyz

you’ll get the correct number for “xyz” via

dnf history

It’s impossible!!! When I preparing to kernel installing, KDE shows me message, that I have one update - it’s KERNEL 5.12.0!!! OMG!!!

We have a progress - graphic stage was go on and now I stopped on this:

I removed nomodest and other things from grub menu

sh*t.

I’ve digged the net and found

and

from the last link, it says the boot parameter has changed in kernel 5.12-rc3.

I’m currently running 5.11.6 (home brewed) and I can’t find that parameter via

modinfo i915

I guess it’s only build in in kernel 5.12
I also can’t find the prev. parameter name “DRM_I915_PRELIMINARY_HW_SUPPORT” in my
/boot/config-5.10.21-200.fc33.x86_64

Find update via dnfdragora they must be there!

okay, then try the rawhide kernel without “nomodeset rhgb quiet” and with only “i915.alpha_support=1”

Same result:
Starting Terminate Plymouth Boot Screen…
And when I move mouse - appeared info about mouse and that’s all.

I used you advise and enter to second console (Alt+F2), login under root and search in dmesg errors and found that: