Error while updating to 38 beta

1. delete both repo’s sudo dnf remove rpmfusion-nonfree-release
    sudo dnf remove rpmfusion-free-release
  2. upgrade with sudo dnf system-upgrade download --releasever=38 --allowerasing --skip this option will delete all packaged installed from rpmfusion
  3. when the upgrade was done
  4. Install rpmfusion free and non-free for fedora 38
  5. do and upgrade sudo dnf upgrade
  6. install the package deleted from step 2. from rpmfusion with the flag --allowerasing

Regards.,

Extract from above post by AdamW

Hi Manuel! As the others said, you do not need to reinstall, updating as usual (for Silverblue) will bring you to F35 Final state when it’s done.

hence 38 beta silverblue will become 38stable once out…

Should work like Workstation and other spins just keep it updated and it will roll right into final.

i think rpm fusion repo should be this one https://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-branched.noarch.rpm

after updated to 38beta i did not get all wallpapers like the new fedora 38 one or some others
which are included in gnome os

Please, don’t mix different issues (dnf, silverblue, wallpapers) under the same topic.

However, thank you for testing Fedora Linux 38, but since it is a beta release, I don’t know if this is the right place where the reported issues get a good visibility. Maybe reporting that to the QA team or filing an issue on bugzilla is better?

3 Likes

i also have a silverblue and i find the new fedora background was there… it must be a bug as you can see in my screenshot.
and yes it was mixed unintentionally so best is to change headline else it need to create other issues.

can anyone confirm that this issue is present in there systems also

Having those issues either.

No match for group package "xmms2-freeworld"
No match for group package "mplayer-gui"
No match for group package "audacious-plugins-freeworld-mms"
No match for group package "uade"
No match for group package "audacious-plugins-freeworld"
Error:
 Problem 1: package gstreamer1-plugins-bad-1:1.20.5-1.fc37.x86_64 requires libopencv_bgsegm.so.406()(64bit), but none of the providers can be installed
  - package gstreamer1-plugins-bad-1:1.20.5-1.fc37.x86_64 requires libopencv_tracking.so.406()(64bit), but none of the providers can be installed
  - opencv-contrib-4.6.0-7.fc37.x86_64 does not belong to a distupgrade repository
  - problem with installed package gstreamer1-plugins-bad-1:1.20.5-1.fc37.x86_64
 Problem 2: package gstreamer1-plugins-bad-1:1.20.5-1.fc37.x86_64 requires libopencv_calib3d.so.406()(64bit), but none of the providers can be installed
  - package gstreamer1-plugins-bad-1:1.20.5-1.fc37.x86_64 requires libopencv_core.so.406()(64bit), but none of the providers can be installed
  - package gstreamer1-plugins-bad-1:1.20.5-1.fc37.x86_64 requires libopencv_features2d.so.406()(64bit), but none of the providers can be installed
  - package gstreamer1-plugins-bad-1:1.20.5-1.fc37.x86_64 requires libopencv_imgcodecs.so.406()(64bit), but none of the providers can be installed
  - package gstreamer1-plugins-bad-1:1.20.5-1.fc37.x86_64 requires libopencv_imgproc.so.406()(64bit), but none of the providers can be installed
  - package gstreamer1-plugins-bad-1:1.20.5-1.fc37.x86_64 requires libopencv_objdetect.so.406()(64bit), but none of the providers can be installed
  - package gstreamer1-plugins-bad-1:1.20.5-1.fc37.x86_64 requires libopencv_video.so.406()(64bit), but none of the providers can be installed
  - package gstreamer1-plugins-bad-fluidsynth-1:1.20.5-1.fc37.x86_64 requires gstreamer1-plugins-bad(x86-64) = 1:1.20.5-1.fc37, but none of the providers can be installed
  - opencv-core-4.6.0-7.fc37.x86_64 does not belong to a distupgrade repository
  - problem with installed package gstreamer1-plugins-bad-fluidsynth-1:1.20.5-1.fc37.x86_64
(try to add '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages)

I’m not using RPMFusion for a while, but I checked and I forgot to remove some packages before disabling it. doas dnf remove chromium-freeworld libfreeaptx mjpegtools-libs pipewire-codec-aptx rpmfusion-free-obsolete-packages. The ones I was able to remove were chromium-freeworld, rpmfusion-free-obsolete-packages, pipewire-codec-aptx, doas dnf remove libfreeaptx mjpegtools-libs gnome-shell with them.

❯ doas dnf remove libfreeaptx mjpegtools-libs
Error: 
 Problem: The operation would result in removing the following protected packages: gnome-shell
(try to add '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages)

❯ doas dnf5 remove libfreeaptx mjpegtools-libs
Failed to resolve the transaction:
Problem 1: The operation would result in removing the following protected packages: gnome-shell
 Problem 2: package gtk4-4.8.3-1.fc37.x86_64 requires libgstplayer-1.0.so.0()(64bit), but none of the providers can be installed
  - package gstreamer1-plugins-bad-1:1.20.5-1.fc37.x86_64 requires libfreeaptx.so.0()(64bit), but none of the providers can be installed
  - package gnome-shell-43.3-1.fc37.x86_64 requires libgtk-4.so.1()(64bit), but none of the providers can be installed
  - package gnome-shell-43.3-1.fc37.x86_64 requires gtk4(x86-64) >= 4.0.0, but none of the providers can be installed
  - conflicting requests
  - problem with installed package

Using doas dnf system-upgrade download --releasever=38 --allowerasing --best --assumeyes gives me no errors, but why would it remove gnome-shell?

I’m on F39 Rawhide (which offers daily system updates) for about 2 weeks.
I tend to update every day, as it’s rather quick and painless.

Only twice I encountered a problem when an update refused to install, and it was the same error: “package requires… but none of the providers can be installed”.

If I got it right, some dependencies required the newest version, but it was not made available anywhere yet for some reason.

If I just waited several hours or half a day (till the evening in Europe), in both cases the same update went through.

Often there may be a delay in the mirrors syncing with the main repo and it can produce those types errors. Waiting, as stated, often allows time for the sync to complete and then the upgrade will proceed properly.

Update done after re-enabling negativo17 repos. For some reason, probably my installed nvidia driver, rebooting just did nothing. Despite pre-upgrade issues, things seem to be running smoothly.
I’ll followed the Fedora’s Optional post-upgrade tasks.

You simply follow in Fedora Docs instructions to upgrade using DNF : => https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/upgrading-fedora-online/.

No problems, indications about 3rd party software to reinstall, everything that can fail as not so easy to do, beta release, gnome release candidate, seriously … ???

Forgot that after the upgrade via DNF I do the Fedora Optional Post-upgrade tasks and also I added:

sudo dnf install @workstation-product-environment
# or
sudo dnf group install "Fedora Workstation"

I’m closing this topic if nobody screams No since it heading off-topic.

I agree

1 Like