Error message in startup-boot screen of Fedora 30 on new installation

Recently I installed fedora 30 beta in my Acer Aspire 3 Intel i3 7th gen laptop.

I get the following error while switching on my laptop. This error message shows up for 1-2 second and then the boot screen appears and log in normally. May I know how to remove this error or is this serious issue. :confused:
IMG_20190429_114546

This occurs in 30 release, I had it too, lucky this is nothing to worry about, and is a know BUGā€™s and it fixed now, but you have option:

1. Keep your system up-to date with sudo dnf update
  2. You can update your kernel from getting the lastest update-testing repo sudo dnf update --enablerepo=updates-testing kernel kernel-{core,devel,modules\*,headers} ā†’ you can adap it as your needs

References:

Red Hat Bugzilla
Fedora Discusion

Regards.,

2 Likes

Thank you @hhlp for your reply.
I tried sudo dnf update, but still get the same bug while switching on my laptop.
Tried the second command too. I get the following message in the terminal

Package kernel-devel available, but not installed.
No match for argument: kernel-devel

Should I need to install kernal-devel. How to do it? Will this solve the bug?

if you donā€™t have installed kernel-devel delete it from the listā€¦ if occurs with any other do the sameā€¦

1 Like

You can add --setopt=strict=0 to the command. That tells DNF to ignore packages in the list that it cannot find. So:

sudo dnf update --enablerepo=updates-testing kernel kernel-{core,devel,modules\*,headers} --setopt=strict=0
[sudo] password for asinha:
Fedora 30 - x86_64 - Test Updates                                                                                                                              33 kB/s |  23 kB     00:00
Fedora 30 - x86_64 - Test Updates                                                                                                                             1.4 MB/s | 5.2 MB     00:03
Fedora 30 - x86_64 - Updates                                                                                                                                   34 kB/s |  23 kB     00:00
Fedora 30 - x86_64 - Updates                                                                                                                                  179 kB/s | 174 kB     00:00
Fedora 30 - x86_64                                                                                                                                             82 kB/s |  19 kB     00:00
google-chrome                                                                                                                                                  35 kB/s | 1.3 kB     00:00
RPM Fusion for Fedora 30 - Free - Updates                                                                                                                      38 kB/s | 9.4 kB     00:00
RPM Fusion for Fedora 30 - Free                                                                                                                                45 kB/s |  10 kB     00:00
RPM Fusion for Fedora 30 - Nonfree - Updates                                                                                                                   47 kB/s | 9.6 kB     00:00
RPM Fusion for Fedora 30 - Nonfree                                                                                                                             28 kB/s |  10 kB     00:00
Package kernel-devel available, but not installed.
No match for argument: kernel-devel
Dependencies resolved.
==============================================================================================================================================================================================
 Package                                             Architecture                          Version                                       Repository                                      Size
==============================================================================================================================================================================================
Installing:
 kernel                                              x86_64                                5.0.9-301.fc30                                updates-testing                                 25 k
 kernel-core                                         x86_64                                5.0.9-301.fc30                                updates-testing                                 25 M
 kernel-modules                                      x86_64                                5.0.9-301.fc30                                updates-testing                                 28 M
 kernel-modules-extra                                x86_64                                5.0.9-301.fc30                                updates-testing                                2.1 M
Removing:
 kernel                                              x86_64                                5.0.0-300.fc30                                @anaconda                                        0
 kernel-core                                         x86_64                                5.0.0-300.fc30                                @anaconda                                       61 M
 kernel-modules                                      x86_64                                5.0.0-300.fc30                                @anaconda                                       28 M
 kernel-modules-extra                                x86_64                                5.0.0-300.fc30                                @anaconda                                      2.1 M

Transaction Summary
Install  4 Packages
Remove   4 Packages

Total download size: 56 M
Is this ok [y/N]: y

More information in man dnf, of course :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is definitely grubā€¦

Since the Bugzilla reports said that this only happened on a clean install, Iā€™d blame anaconda. Perhaps grub is right, and anaconda formatted the ESP as either the wrong FAT or corrupted FAT

Exactly, I am too thinking the same. its grub issue.

1 Like

But I might be wrong about anaconda. It could be the new blscfg.

I was looking through my grub.cfg on fedora 30 and found ā€œinsmod fat.ā€ Iā€™ll have to double check in what context it said that, but presumably, grub, booted from a fat partition (ESP), does not need to open the fat partition. That was already done.

(Just to be clear, Iā€™m not having this issue. (I upgraded, so that could be it?) Iā€™m not blaming that line, Iā€™m only saying that the new blscfg change likely has something to do with it, and that I take back my attribution of blame on anaconda (even though, ultimately, it still comes back to grub regardless).)

1 Like

I think here is one more grub issue to take note of Fedora 30 Dual Boot Windows 10

Apologies, I noticed this too now.