DWM on fedora minimal?

Hello all,

Are there some DWM users/fanboys here ?
A minimal fedora install ft DWM should be as snappy as an arch one ? Some experiences here ? What is exactly installed on a fedora minimal install ? What are the core packages ? Is there some bloat like SElinux, firewalld and other by default ? I wanted to keep it as simple/lightweight as possible !!!

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi,

You can review the packages which come with the minimal install here, the page may take a while to load. The minimal install only comes with the core group (search for <id>core</id>).

Yes the minimal install comes with both SELinux and Firewalld as these are core of what Fedora is however both serve a purpose and I would not label them as bloat. Both can be disabled if you don’t require them however it’s not recommended.

I believe Arch’s base install includes drivers not included in Fedora’s minimal install (such as xpad) which are contained in Fedora’s kernel-modules-extra packages and also wireless drivers need to be installed separately.

As for speed I doubt there is anything noticeable to a regular user but if your interested have a look at Phoronix who regularly benchmark Linux distros and programs.

1 Like

Thanks for your answer. It looks like Arch « base » utils is much more smaller than fedora one. Why should fedora be more reliable/stable/productive than Arch?

Thanks again.

1 Like

So Arch is a rolling release based distro and gets package updates as they are released upstream.

Whereas Fedora is on a stable release model where core packages are updated every ~six months and each release is supported for ~13 months. Note that you still get security bug fixes but these are often patched into current versions of the software rather than upgrading to the latest version unless absolutely necessary.

It’s often said that due to having a rolling release model Arch new packages could cause issues not identified by the limited testing time, personally I haven’t experienced any in my use of Arch. However there was a semi-recent issue with a kernel update causing data loss which is a concern.

Two reasons I particularly like Fedora is that some packages such as the kernel and applications are updated following the upstream release model (with a longer testing period compared to Arch) which I don’t think is the same for other release based distros such as Ubuntu and Debian. The second is that I see Fedora as pushing the Linux desktop forward with supporting the development and implementing new technologies.

2 Likes