Drag and drop broken in Nautilus

I am using Fedora 36 Workstation Prerelease.

After a recent update to Nautilus I cannot drag and drop files anymore. The dragging movement extends the selection but never picks up the files.

There are multiple reports of exactly the same behavior in old versions of Ubuntu:

They all mention something called “New view” or experimental view which is not available in preferences or with gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.preferences use-experimental-views false.

The Nautilus windows changed how they look at the same time I started to experience the new behavior.

Any idea on where to look?
Nautilus package is: nautilus-42~alpha-3.fc36.x86_64

Recorded a video: https://www.reddit.com/r/gnome/comments/sf9jr4/drag_and_drop_stopped_working_in_nautilus/

:thinking: Since it alpha version, I believe you should report it to Nautilus dev instead of find the workaround. And for your daily use, may be you want to downgrade the version.

Is there a reason you’re using rawhide?

It’s not considered stable and has not gone through any testing, so it’s really hard to debug here. At this point, it’s only to be used for development and debugging. Please see the following page, and discuss the issue on the noted channels:

2 Likes

Yes, there is. I am comfortable with non-production software on this box, I am a developer and I enjoy writing bug reports. This did not feel like a bug so I asked here.

Since then I learned that as part of GTK4 migration Nautilus lost a whole bunch of functionality including drag and drop, clipboard interaction etc. We’ll have to manage while it is being restored.

2 Likes