Do you use any of the Atomic spins?

If so, how is the experience?

I use Fedora Kinoite on my main laptop and Bazzite on my gaming laptop. They work great! In general the experience should be the same as what you use from the mainline version of the spin, so Kinoite should work closely to what Fedora KDE is. The main limitations are on using flatpaks and containers to manage apps rather than having access to rpms like the main spins do. It’s a tradeoff of the model, so if your workflow depends on installing rpms on your host system, then you may run into problems. But if it does work for you then you get a more solid system, solid updates, the ability to rollback if something goes wrong, and the ability to rebase to an entirely different system if you want without having to reinstall a distro. It’s a whole new world!

1 Like

gnome is my chosen one hence am totally unfamiliar with fedora kde & fedora kinoite.
i have used fedora silverblue & fedora workstation both & the experience is not the same.
if something goes wrong (god forbid) i prefer a fresh install over using the time machine.

I experimented with Silverblue when it was first announced, and ran a seperate machine with it until F36. My issues were smoothed over somewhat at the begining, but the large issues remains and it’s Software compatability. I realized how important xdg-desktop-Portals is to the entire desktop experience, but the slow adoption is a problem and will be for a while. The key tools like your Browser and Password manager still do not properly communicate in sandboxed environments.

Moreso the pain points seems to be with Creatives. Creative are always left behind in conversations when moving to a Atomic desktop. When workflows are broken, because flatpaks cannot spawn app that are sandboxed, or the file paths being different, or a range of other issues in relation, seem to pop up when you are in need the most. Hardware support in sandboxed environments, support for OpenCL like there is for OpenGL among other things, is a huge pain point.

Developers have workarounds quickly, Flatpaks didn’t work? toolbox that didn’t work podman that didn’t work docker or the more adventurous AppImages or Snaps. Runtimes are worked on quickly, the tooling has some workarounds. It’s getting better.

There’s a bright future somewhere on the horizon for Atomic spins, there just needs to be more support and proper organization around the biggest tool to enable conducive workflows, xdg-desktop-Portal IMO is one of the most important tools, for this realized Atomic Desktop future.

2 Likes

Some time ago after I even broke Kubuntu I finally tried Fedora KDE. was pretty scared if all needed software would be there (and tbh fastboot is still broken). Then that broke too, something with black SDDM, and I switched to kinoite.

Luckily my LUKS password was QWERTY compatible, another atomic issue that seems to be fixed in 40.

That was right when 37 started, I then found out that ublue existed, back when it was not signed. Rebased to that and stayed on main for a while, they deprecated the nokmods images without any notice (Atomic Desktops really need a standalone message system!) And I had no updates for a month or so, rebased to main again, solved.

Then I noticed this secureblue project was getting a thing and I followed its process, annoyed the maintainer a bit, contributed a bit, until it was in a working state for me. Tried it on a second SSD (VMs are just not realistic enough) and then made the switch on my main system!

It is not the easy way, but it works. Need to compile Firefox myself currently, which suddenly stopped working… yeah.

Would recommend ublue kinoite to everyone, Plasma 5.27 is so stable now its nice.

Also tested the Preview Plasma 6 image thoroughly and found a bunch of bugs, but for now it seems to be completely done!

2 Likes

I just ordered a laptop to use the new atomic silverblue!
Super excited to have a dedicated fedora desktop for the first time.

2 Likes

… I ended up using Kinoite (thanks @boredsquirrel ).

It’s… awesome. The install process is sooo smooth. I even managed to install the Pycharm Pro flatpak and so far everything (except podman integration) work flawlessly.

2 Likes

It you really need it I am sure they have a repo so you could layer it. But stick to Flatpaks if possible, especially for proprietary apps like that.

1 Like

+1 definitely sticking with Flatpak. (I bet the podman issue is just a config trick)

Maybe off topic, but I would like to learn to contribute FlatPaks for some of my favorite tools, like https://datasette.io/

Layering is fine, it was an intended feature. Podman is a part of the base image of Fedora WS and all atomic versions.

Things to follow:

• use X11 fallback instead of static X11 permission
  • avoid host filesystem access, if needed (and the app doesnt use portals) give it access to /mnt and that should be enough
  • if the app needs access to native directories (like noncontainerized config directories) there are 2 option:
    • state every single one, even if you give it full /home access. That way users can easily restrict it
    • better: use --persist=path to emulate those paths, and have the app use the container instead (as far as I understood) without changing any app code

I started using onyx. I like rpm-ostree & I use flatpak to get my apps, no yum or dnf. Keep the build minimal, I am only running a mail app, firefox, slack, steam, & joplin with the jarvis plugin. Onyx is nice, it runs on budgie so its almost as simplistic as xfce while still looking modern imo. Also I seem to prefer the atomic builds over running workstation and changing the desktop environment. That requires configuring and I think the other desktops break if you don’t set the files up properly “off topic”. The reason I prefer them is because you can rebase into an older or different version.
That feature is appealing to me, in case I ever wanted to switch to kde for better control, i could rebase to silverblue, or if I want to go back to sway i can rebase sericae. Thats a nice feature. It’s safe as long as you pick the correct version meaning “x84_64 etc”

1 Like

When switching to Atomic KDE (or even COSMIC) I would create a new user profile anyways to have a fresh start, if its just for testing.

sudo ostree admin pin 0
rpm-ostree rebase ...

This makes sure you keep your working version. But mixing dotfiles is still a problem