Dnf vs yum in Fedora 31

To install the clickhouse database in Fedora 31, I followed its official installation instructions and run the code as below:

sudo yum install yum-utils
sudo rpm --import https://repo.yandex.ru/clickhouse/CLICKHOUSE-KEY.GPG
sudo yum-config-manager --add-repo https://repo.yandex.ru/clickhouse/rpm/stable/x86_64
sudo yum install clickhouse-server clickhouse-client

I kinda remember that I read somewhere that yum will be replaced by dnf in Fedora 31, why is this code still working in Fedora 31? If I install some software using sudo yum install, will it be different from sudo dnf install?

It won’t be any different. yum is just a symbolic link to dnf, for convenience in exactly those situations. But you’re still using dnf:

$ ls -l $(which yum)
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 5 Dec  2 04:26 /usr/bin/yum -> dnf-3
2 Likes

It’s there as an alias, for the sake of compatibility and to ease the transition. But YUM is deprecated. When you type yum something is actually dnf what runs.

1 Like

:rofl: The transition happened in Fedora 22, feels like that train’s sailed by now. It’ll be FIVE YEARS next release. :wink:

2 Likes

You tell them to CentOS folks. :smile:

1 Like

:rofl: The transition happened in Fedora 22, feels like that train’s
sailed by now. It’ll be FIVE YEARS next release. :wink:

[Visit
Topic](Dnf vs yum in Fedora 31
/4) or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

Many people don’t know that, because they either don’t work with yum/dnf
often, or because they just read the instructions, which still say yum.
Takes time for these things.

That’s almost kind of my point, though… by keeping yum as an alias forever, all the wrong instructions will never get fixed, because “Hey, it works fine the way it is.” At some point you have to rip off the band-aid and break some people’s (outdated) stuff.

1 Like

I could not disagree more. In my opinion, this attitude has become more
prominent in Fedora recently, and has led to us breaking everything for no
real reason. These aliases are not difficult to maintain.

1 Like