DNF update plan (auto-updates?) in toolbox

I’ve recently noticed that of course you also have to update your pods in Fedora Toolbox, because these can be outdated, too.

Now is there any plan for Toolbox to e.g. enable automatic updates in pods? Because otherwise, if you have long-running containers they can still pose a risk, because they still have access to your home dir etc. So it’s really that you should keep them updated.

Or is there a plan to e.g. integrate/show them in GNOME Software?

So I’ve tried the usual steps on Fedora listed here, and it worked quite well, but the last step failed:
´´´´sh
$ sudo systemctl enable --now dnf-automatic.timer
System has not been booted with systemd as init system (PID 1). Can’t operate.
Failed to connect to bus: Host is down
´´´

That said, I also have to say that this is quite cumbersome to do for each container you want to use for a longer time. So it’s IMHO not really a great thing, especially as you also need to edit a config file etc. (i.e. it’s not an one-liner or so)

I may be cynical, but seeing toolbox is intended for development afaik, what’s the harm with it being updated when people use it.

It doesn’t run in the background at startup, it doesn’t contain any services.

Well… if you use it only for development that may be true, but in my case, I actually wanted to use it for Tor Browser and there security matters quite much.

You could add a script to /etc/profile.d within the toolbox to check for updates when the shell launches on the toolbox, checking on each launch instead of regularly in the background?

1 Like