DNF: How to stop getting offered updates for certain packages in KDE 5

, ,

I did a dnf versionlock on some programs and running sudo dnf upgrade now (correctly) doesn’t offer updates for these packages, but I’m still seeing these updates under “software updates” in KDE’s taskbar (also after restarting the computer a couple times).

I’m not sure if the updates will install this way. I selected them and they seemed to download successfully. I interrupted the download because I didn’t want to get hassled with rolling back the packages in case the process worked despite versionlock.

How do I stop whichever way KDE is using dnf from offering me updates to versionlocked packages?

1 Like

You should report this issue against the app that sends you faulty notifications.
Note that Fedora 31 is close to EoL, so it’s best to upgrade and confirm the issue before reporting.

The notifications aren’t faulty. Gnome software and KDE discover do not use dnf’s configuration files or plugins, so the versionlock plugin does not apply to them. They are not “dnf frontends”.

I do not know if either of the two include direct functionality to “lock versions”. They do use the same repository files as dnf does (in /etc/yum.repos.d/), so perhaps one can modify these to include packages in the exclude list to omit them from any transactions. Even there I’m not sure if the GUI tools respect that option. I expect they would.

It is best not to mix dnf and other tools. For one, this makes it hard to follow transaction history—if you did not run an upgrade using dnf, it won’t turn up in dnf history list. If you are happy to use dnf, best to only use it and disable the notifications for the others (since they’re generally well integrated with the desktop environment and not trivial to remove in isolation).

1 Like

I see. I normally install updates via GUI since they conveniently pop up after login, but do everything else in dnf via command line. I’m gonna try adding the exclude option in repo files after I read up the docs on that.

1 Like

Finally got around to it. The packages were a main package and the packages depending on it (with names of the form “x-y” where “x” is the name of the main package). I added exclude= with the main package’s name in each subsection of /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo, and that already seems to have taken care of the issue :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.