Discord RPM not starting

I’ve been using the Discord Flatpak for a while, but recently it’s been crashing more often and generally is becoming unstable, so I’m trying to switch to the RPM.

The program won’t open through GNOME, and running the Discord command results in this before crashing:

Discord 0.0.56
Quitting secondary instance.
blackbox: 2024-06-22T15:53:22.249Z 0 

----------------------------------------------
blackbox: 2024-06-22T15:53:22.274Z 1 Discord starting: {"releaseChannel":"stable","version":"0.0.56"}, modulepath: /home/owner/.config/discord/0.0.56/modules

Are you using the rpmfusion package, try running

/usr/lib64/discord/wrapper.sh

Still doesn’t work, nearly identical result:

Disabling updates already done
Discord 0.0.56
Quitting secondary instance.
blackbox: 2024-06-22T17:11:25.461Z 0 

----------------------------------------------
blackbox: 2024-06-22T17:11:25.487Z 1 Discord starting: {"releaseChannel":"stable","version":"0.0.56"}, modulepath: /home/owner/.config/discord/0.0.56/modules

Where did you get the RPM from?

I’m using the 0.0.57 tar.gz of Discord and it working for me (as the 0.0.55 also did).
I got it from Download Discord to Talk, Chat, and Hang Out
scroll down the page until you get to the “Linux” section. Click the ^ on the Download and pick the “tar.gz”.

I expanded it into my ~/bin

cd bin
tar xf ~/Downloads/discord-0.0.57.tar.gz

Then I can run it from the terminal:

~/bin/Discord/Discord

You can setup a desktop file to launch it as well.

$ cat .local/share/applications/discord.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Categories=Network;InstantMessaging;
Comment[en_GB]=All-in-one voice and text chat for gamers that's free, secure, and works on both your desktop and phone.
Comment=All-in-one voice and text chat for gamers that's free, secure, and works on both your desktop and phone.
Exec=/home/barry/bin/Discord/Discord
GenericName[en_GB]=Internet Messenger
GenericName=Internet Messenger
Icon=discord
MimeType=
Name[en_GB]=Discord
Name=Discord
Path=/usr/bin
StartupNotify=true
StartupWMClass=discord
Terminal=false
TerminalOptions=
Type=Application
X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
X-KDE-Username=
2 Likes

Worked like a charm! I had to use the absolute path for the icon or else it wouldn’t display, but otherwise it works great.

Since you were curious, I was originally using the package from the rpmfusion-nonfree repo.

1 Like