Desktop icon does not launch application

I installed the application Recipes on Fedora 38. However when clicking on its icon, nothing happens (the app does not start).

I installed it via the Software application, as a flatpak:

[vincent@hitchcock stox]$ flatpak list
Name                                    Application ID                        Version   Branch        Origin   Installation
Gestionnaire d’extensions               com.mattjakeman.ExtensionManager      0.4.3     stable        flathub  system
Fedora KDE 5 Platform                   org.fedoraproject.KDE5Platform        39        f39           fedora   system
Fedora Platform                         org.fedoraproject.Platform            39        f39           fedora   system
Mesa                                    org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.default   23.1.9    22.08         flathub  system
Mesa (Extra)                            org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.default   23.1.9    22.08-extra   flathub  system
Mesa                                    org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.default   23.2.1    23.08         flathub  system
Mesa (Extra)                            org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.default   23.2.1    23.08-extra   flathub  system
openh264                                org.freedesktop.Platform.openh264     2.1.0     2.2.0         flathub  system
GNOME Application Platform version 44   org.gnome.Platform                              44            flathub  system
GNOME Application Platform version 45   org.gnome.Platform                              45            flathub  system
Recettes                                org.gnome.Recipes                     2.0.4     stable        flathub  system
Shotwell                                org.gnome.Shotwell                    0.32.1    stable        fedora   system
KeePassXC                               org.keepassxc.KeePassXC               2.7.6     stable        fedora   system

I searched for the .desktop files corresponding to the Recipes app and found 3:

/var/lib/flatpak/app/org.gnome.Recipes/x86_64/stable/7758f07ca4fd8be3cec262f1c5bb9a758441353fd43e4eea722058ca50180403/export/share/applications/org.gnome.Recipes.desktop
/var/lib/flatpak/app/org.gnome.Recipes/x86_64/stable/7758f07ca4fd8be3cec262f1c5bb9a758441353fd43e4eea722058ca50180403/files/share/applications/org.gnome.Recipes.desktop
/var/lib/flatpak/exports/share/applications/org.gnome.Recipes.desktop

I am not sure which corresponds to the desktop icon, but anyway they all contain roughly the same Exec:

Exec=/usr/bin/flatpak run --branch=stable --arch=x86_64 --command=gnome-recipes --file-forwarding org.gnome.Recipes @@ %f @@

And running this very command (without the @@ %f @@ part) from a shell works perfectly fine.
So I am a bit puzzled, what could be missing that could explain that the desktop icon does not work?

https://docs.flatpak.org/en/latest/flatpak-command-reference.html#flatpak-run

--file-forwarding

If this option is specified, the remaining arguments are scanned, and all arguments that are enclosed between a pair of ‘@@’ arguments are interpreted as file paths, exported in the document store, and passed to the command in the form of the resulting document path. Arguments between ‘@@u’ and ‘@@’ are considered uris, and any file: uris are exported. The exports are non-persistent and with read and write permissions for the application.

Could be permission issue?
Why don’t you just remove the --file-forwarding part from the Exec line of the .desktop file?

Well, I should have tried that indeed, as the command without the --file-forwarding option was working from the command line… and it also works if I remove it from the .desktop file.
So problem fixed, but then why does Fedora install the .desktop file with this --file-forwarding option in the first place? what is this %f supposed to be? which file?

That’s a placeholder for a file that is opened with the app. In the case of Recipes, it can only open files of type application/vnd.gnome.recipes.export. There are other specifiers like %F for multiple files or %u for a URI. This is all in the Desktop Entry spec.

This is a flatpak feature as described above. Its purpose is to provide access to files that are outside the sandbox by forwarding them through the document portal. For example, this would allow you to double click on a text file and have it open in an editor that has no filesystem access.

When the app is launched by itself (rather than opening a file), the %f should be automatically removed by the launcher, and flatpak won’t try to forward anything when it finds nothing between the @@s.

You’re using GNOME, right? How are you trying to launch the app? Do you see anything in the journal when you do so? (journalctl -b)

It’s the last one, but you shouldn’t edit any of those files. Any changes should be made by copying it into ~/.local/share/applications.

(You can stop reading here if you don’t care about flatpak implementation details.)

/var/lib/flatpak/app/org.gnome.Recipes/current/active/files/share/applications/org.gnome.Recipes.desktop is the raw .desktop file, the same as you’d find in a non-sandboxed version of the app.

/var/lib/flatpak/app/org.gnome.Recipes/current/active/export/share/applications/org.gnome.Recipes.desktop is that file after being ‘mangled’ by flatpak, most notably rewriting Exec to invoke flatpak run

The second file is symlinked into flatpak’s exports dir: /var/lib/flatpak/exports/share, which is in XDG_DATA_DIRS. There’s an extra indirection here because you can have multiple branches of an app installed but only the ‘current’ one is exported. This is controlled by the current symlink that I used above.

Hi Chris, thanks for the detailed explanations.
Yes, I am using Gnome on Fedora 38.
Actually, what i did is that I used alacarte to modify the desktop config of Recipes, which apparently created the file ~/.local/share/applications/org.gnome.Recipes.desktop as you recommended. After this, clicking on the Recipes icon would just work.
The funny thing is that I renamed this file (to .backup) to see if I could reproduce the problem, but even with this file out of the way, clicking the icon still works now! (I logged out of Gnome, and back in: same, it works).
I wanted to see if I could spot any error in the journal: as everything is working, unsurprisingly, there is no error about Recipes in the journal; so I grepped for previous days. I do see some funny messages, but I doubt they have anything to do with my (original) problem, as there is only a couple of them at a given time, and then nothing:

nov. 05 14:10:37 fedora gnome-recipes[23735]: g_atomic_ref_count_dec: assertion 'old_value > 0' failed
nov. 05 14:10:43 fedora gnome-recipes[23735]: g_atomic_ref_count_dec: assertion 'old_value > 0' failed

and also:

nov. 05 16:09:18 fedora gnome-software[2849]: cannot set 163% for system/flatpak/flathub/org.gnome.Recipes/stable, setting instead: 100%

but this one looks more informational than anything else.

From my point of view, everything works, so I am fine. If you think there is something weird going on worth investigating, I am glad to provide more details; otherwise, thanks for your help!

That’s interesting. I installed Recipes to test it after seeing your post, and Software got stuck at 100%, so I canceled it and tried again. My logs were filled with similar messages.

This almost certainly has nothing to do with your issue, but it seems notable that we both hit that bug that specifically when installing Recipes.

Anyway, if it’s working with the original .desktop file now, there’s nothing to do unless it happens again.