Create a Linux Subsystem for Linux

I would like to read opinions about an idea.

I think it would be very useful if there was a feature for linux that works very similarly to the Windows Subsystem for Linux (Wsl) that exists in windows 10 and 11. I’ll call it the Linux Subsystem for Linux (LSL)

It would be used to run a linux inside another linux in a more efficient and integrated way than in the Virtual Machine.

I think this would be particularly useful for someone new to the linux world. This person could, for example, use Fedora Silverblue and then install a “normal” linux within fedora, as simply as installing linux on windows with wsl.

Then the user could explore around linux within the subsystem, including the terminal. And if something very serious happened with this linux in the subsystem, it would be enough to uninstall and install it again. In the meantime, Fedora Silverblue (or other system) would be safe and working normally.

I’m not an OS developer and I have no idea how much work would go into creating this feature.

However, I would like to read your opinions on LSL.

This is basically what you get with containers, and in particular on Silverblue, toolbx.

4 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to give me an answer.

Hope it is helpful!