Create a CentOS category on the fedora discourse for CentOS Stream

Originally filed here:

https://pagure.io/centos-infra/issue/519

Please create a centos category on the fedora discourse and let it handle CentOS Stream-related topics. This will leave the current CentOS forums to CentOS 7 only, once CentOS 8 is retired.

The original idea was brought about by Carl George:

< carlwgeorge> i’ve had several stream users ask me if we can just make a centos category on the fedora discourse, instead of running our own forums. i think it’s a fantastic idea.

3 Likes

Would you then put an announce on forums.centos.org for the Stream category pointing to discourse ?

I’m open to this. Since the account systems are joint, it’s very easy technically. And I love the idea of bringing our communities closer together!

What do other folks here think?

As we’re thinking about this, please also see Considering a general reorganization of this site! and help think about how this would fit in.

And for CentOS folks in particular: would you like a this to be “CentOS Stream” in specific, or “CentOS Project” in general?

If we do go ahead with this, I’d like to have at least two people from CentOS volunteer to help moderate — either the CentOS category only (which we can do by creating a specific group (ideally an Account System group, but that’s dependent on this wprk), or as general site moderators with a focus on that area.

I’m in favor. :grin:

I’d prefer the latter. I don’t want to turn away CentOS Linux users that don’t feel like creating a forums.c.o account, but already have a Fedora account. c7 will still be around till 2024, and there are plenty of c8 users who haven’t heard about the shorter EOL yet. Many of them will have questions. A general CentOS category would be best. I don’t see a benefit to tightly coupling a migration to discourse with the Stream changes in the distro.

1 Like

I think this is an excellent idea! I also agree wit @mattdm’s request for moderation support as key to making this work too.

I think we need to add a :centos: emoji alongside the :fedora: one. :wink:

Whoever does this, please use the new logo.

This is something I’ve been pondering for a few days. I’m not sure a CentOS Project category (to succeed the CentOS Forums) here will be apt if the purpose of d.fp.o will be for Project level topics.

A CentOS Project category on ask.fp.o would make more sense, with tags for centos7, stream8*, stream9, etc. CentOS makes heavy use the mailing lists for project discussions, with the forums being (for all I can mostly tell) end-user help and announcements. Unless the Project and SIGs wanted to have a non-mailing list area for discussion/participation, I wouldn’t see a need for a CentOS category on d.fp.o. I’m not sure how well Discourse’s email functionality works and whether or not it would be a good fit here, I see there’s some concerns on it in the quoted discussion.

* Stream 8 is part of the EL8 category title on f.c.o (“CentOS 8 / 8-Stream”). Would this be removed if this proposal goes forward? I image the forums will remain until the EOL of CentOS Linux 7; not sure how many folks running EL7 would migrate over to a new platform.

I’m tentatively interested in helping out. But I would like more information on what such a role would entail.

1 Like

(On moderating:)

Primarily, responding to flags, which come in three flavors. In order of frequency in my experience:

• A post got marked as spam by akismet — is it spam? Let it through if not. If it is, delete, zap the user, and report to Fedora Infrastructure.
  • A post is flagged as spam by a user. Ditto.
  • A post is flagged for hostile tone, off-topic, or some other thing. Needs some more discretion and thought.

Also ideally moderators would fix obvious misspellings and add (or sometimes remove?) tags as appropriate. I’d love to see a higher level of activity around this, but really the baseline commitment is low.

Yeah — Ask is probably better for user-level troubleshooting. But I’m not quite sure how that would be best organized over there.

This site would be better for community and technical discussion. In Fedora, the lines between “user” and “community member” and “contributor” are wide and intentionally fuzzy. I think it’s the intention for CentOS Stream to grow to be that way too, so it’s not necessarily bad to invite more folks to this “side” of things.

1 Like

Is there a color version of the new logo? If we just use all-white, it’ll only work on the dark theme here.

And I guess the related thing is: do we want to ask Ask (heh) folks about CentOS content over there?

The Ask Fedora team feels pretty strongly about organizing that site by language categories. Unless we can get some alternative like Multilingual Plugin 🌐 - plugin - Discourse Meta in place, it seems hard to figure out how to fit CentOS in. We could use tags (see this I just posted about this site, and require each post to be tagged “fedora-linux” or “centos-stream”, but I’m not sure how well that would go over.

Thoughts?

So anyway: I don’t mean for the question about user topics and Ask, or the planned big site reorganization here, to block this.

CentOS folks, I’m inclined to just set up the category now, and we’ll figure it out as we reorganize. What do you think? And, please let me know who the planned category moderators will be.

Thanks!

And, please let me know who the planned category moderators will be.

I’m now asking the current CentOS forum moderators if they can come up with good candidates.

1 Like