Council election: Interview with Tom Callaway (spot)

Originally published at: Council election: Interview with Tom Callaway (spot) – Fedora Community Blog

This is a part of the Council Elections Interviews series. Voting is open to all Fedora contributors. The voting period starts on Friday, 26 November and closes promptly at 23:59:59 UTC on Thursday, 9 December 2021.

Interview with Tom Callaway

Questions

Why are you running for Fedora Council?

I enjoy being able to participate in shaping the direction of Fedora.

What do you see as Fedora’s place in the universe?

I love that we continue to be the home for the next-generation of open source technologies and contributors. The Fedora Community is diverse and passionate, and I think our place is to empower them to solve new problems.

How can we best measure Fedora’s success?

Success for Fedora Linux is measured in users.
Success for Fedora is measured in contributors.

The Council’s primary role is to identify the short-, medium-, and long-term goals of the Fedora community and enable the project to achieve those goals. Right now, we are working on a new plan for the next 3-5 years. How will you help?

I believe that our strategic goals should continue to be centered around growing both our users and our contributors. I think we need to keep making Fedora easier to use and easier to contribute to. I also think we need to look at how Fedora could play a bigger role in smaller devices like phones and the Steam Deck.

I believe I am able to provide a somewhat unique perspective on the future direction of Fedora, because I have been part of Fedora since inception and I am currently assisting my employer in a release based on Fedora (Amazon Linux). I hope to be able to offer valuable guidance to the Council as it maps these uncharted waters.

1 Like