Confused on Needed Steps/Packages for Rpmfusion NVIDIA Installation

Hi,

I currently have the Fedora Cinnamon Spin installed on this machine and I’m having some trouble with deciding which packages I need to install.

rpmfusion NVIDIA page

So far I’ve done:

sudo dnf install xorg-x11-drv-nvidia akmod-nvidia

sudo dnf install xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-cuda

sudo dnf update -y

sudo dnf install vulkan (Already included with the first command)

sudo dnf install automake (needed for akmods)

1. I have no idea what Optimus is. Here it says that Optimus is supported for my Graphics Card, however if I run /sbin/lspci | grep -e 3D nothing shows.

2. Is the KMS section needed? The only thing I could see it helping me out with from reading is to set the screen resolution for my LUKS passphrase prompt.

3. I don’t think Cinnamon uses Wayland, is this correct?

4. For the NVENC/NVDEC section, does the 860m support this?

5. For the x86_64 (64bit) users section, it says

Screenshot%20from%202019-06-07%2010-28-31

I plan on using Steam Proton and Lutris so I’ll probably need this package. It says for the kmod version to use xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.i686 however I installed the akmod nvidia driver package, what’s the difference between akmod and kmod? So is there a akmod package version instead?

1. video acceleration support must work for the 860m, the Geforce 8 series is 12 years old.

What should I install and not install? Thanks!

1 Like

It looks like you installed to latest drivers and you need the 340xx drivers.This link https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/NVIDIA will have the info on how to uninstall the driver and reinstall the correct drivers for your card.I also have a geforce8 on a 12 year old computer and the 340xx driver from rpmfusion works well on it.I don’t use it for gaming just pretty much web browsing and file sharing.

1 Like