"comps" group for games — maintenance needed

See:

https://pagure.io/fedora-comps/issue/492

When installing the games group with dnf in @games , nothing is listed. Only when --with-optional is added. And then the following games are not included in Fedora anymore (see below). Could you please update this? Thanks!

1 Like

That group has quite a few packages from rpmfusion-free and rpmfusion-nonfree, should they still be included there ?

Are you looking with DNF? DNF will merge the comps file from multiple repos. The contents of Tree - fedora-comps - Pagure.io is all we can control.

What games group supposed to be? Gaming tools (lutris, minigalaxy, wine…) or games themselves?

Can we maybe get two groups like games and gamers-tools ?

1 Like

and maybe also game-devel?

1 Like

Ok, so let’s say we have:

• games - 0ad, openttd, wesnoth, widelands, minetest, …
  • games-tools: lutris minigalaxy scummvm playonlinux …
  • games-devel: pyGame, godot …

I think dnf search game provides a good initial input for these lists. It needs some review and filtering but it is quite large and covers a lot.

The remaining question is about types of entries in the comps files.
I see that there are default, mandatory and optional thinks and then there are also conditionals.

Conditionalized games could be gnome-* for Gnome-like Desktops, k* games for KDE and sugar-* for Sugar desktop.

But I don’t understand the difference between default and mandatory.

When I do dnf groupinstall @games can I choose between defaults, mandatory and optional, or is it always all of them?

1 Like

This is from the very olden days, when the installer presented a list of groups, and you could actually go in the groups and pick individual packages. Packages marked “mandatory” were always installed when the group was selected and there was no way to deselect them without deselecting the whole group. Packages marked “default” were selected when you selected the group but you could go in and unselect them. Packages marked “optional” were the opposite, not selected by default but available to select when you went in to see.

I don’t know if any of the package tools expose things like this anymore. I think it probably makes most sense at this point to just put things as “default” or nothing

I didn’t know Fedora had this as an option. Personally I’d get rid of it rather fix it. It sounds like a feature from when I installed from discs. It’s the “I want to install everything”. I can’t think of someone who would use that. I suppose maybe a user with unlimited network bandwith but only for a limited time. They could install everything and evaluate when not connected. But I don’t imagine that is very many people. (Should we not include network games if that is the primary user?)

If I’ve decided to go into game development but don’t know where to begin. I install this games-devel group hoping to evaluate what to use. How can I evaluate the tools that are vastly different? pygame and godot are not interchangeble. It gets even worse if you go down to SDL2 and SFML. Flare and various doom derivatives are a game engines that can used to develop games as well. That could also include Open Surge and Bt Builder. Those later two are probably too niche to be included but even just pygame, godot, SDL2, and SFML gives such a wide range that I don’t see it being useful.

I can kinda see the usefulness of grouping games-tools together but I doubt many people would install them all to try them all out.

The games group is probably the most useful but potentially harder to define. If it includes the best of open source games, it could be good for a newcomer wanting to see what is available. I’m just not sure what should be in it. Minetest is a great base but the default game is lacking content. You need to install mods to get the best experience.

@dulsi I don’t think I would ever use it as “install everything from this group” option.

But it might be helpful for discovery with something like dnf groupinfo games.

I think it would be nice to have these lists maintained in general, maybe in some separate repository even and then there could be several applications of them:

1. define the scope of Games SIG;
  2. provide the comps and group definitions for dnf users;
  3. add some integration with Gnome Software (research needed, as I haven’t used Gnome Software for quite some time);
  4. setup a certain Gamer Live-image. I wouldn’t install it on my workstation, but it could be a demo-image for certain types of events.
  5. use for Fedora Games Documentation, where some of the items from the list might be highlighted additionally.

And in the groupinfo we still have packages listed by categories: required vs optional, so we can maintain some smaller opinionated list of recommended games and tools and frameworks in the required part.

1 Like