Clicking links in Thunderbird does not changes focus to Firefox

When I click links in Thunderbird, I the focus does not change to Firefox. I need to manually switch to Firefox. How can I change this?

tnx

Upgraded to Fedora 40 beta, things are the same…

What you are seeing is a feature of Wayland. An app cannot come to the foreground or grab focus.
If Firefox was not running then it would come up in the foreground.
But if it is already running Wayland will not allow Firefox to come to the foreground.

This is one of the “features” of Wayland I do not like.

My system is running Wayland (see specs below), and when loading a link from Thunderbird the default web browser does come to the forefront and loads the link in a new tab.

Vivaldi is set as my default web browser app. When I click on a link from Thunderbird (version 115.9.0) and Vivaldi is already open, the focus does change to Vivaldi and the link loads as a new tab in Vivaldi.

I then changed the default web browser app to be Firefox (version 124.0.1), and restarted my system. When I click on a link from Thunderbird (version 115.9.0) and Firefox is already open, the focus does change to Firefox and the link loads as a new tab in Firefox.

System specs:

Operating System: Fedora Linux 39
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.11
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.115.0
Qt Version: 5.15.12
Kernel Version: 6.7.10-200.fc39.x86_64 (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® Graphics

Oh! That is a surprise! I will have to test and try to find out how this is made to work. I want this for my apps!

I cannot reproduce this.

1. start thunderbird
  2. click on Support Page link
  3. Firefox started and comes to foreground.
  4. Click on Thunderbird
  5. click on Support Page link
  6. Firefox opens link in the background

Are you running Firefox in X11 mode maybe?

Here is inxi -Gzz for my setup:

Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD Navi 32 [Radeon RX 7700 XT / 7800 XT] driver: amdgpu v: kernel
  Display: wayland server: X.org v: 1.20.14 with: Xwayland v: 23.2.4
    compositor: kwin_wayland driver: X: loaded: nvidia
    unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa gpu: amdgpu resolution: 3072x1728
  API: EGL v: 1.5 drivers: kms_swrast,radeonsi,swrast
    platforms: gbm,wayland,x11,surfaceless,device
  API: OpenGL v: 4.6 compat-v: 4.5 vendor: amd mesa v: 23.3.6 renderer: AMD
    Radeon RX 7800 XT (radeonsi navi32 LLVM 17.0.6 DRM 3.57
    6.8.1-201.fc39.x86_64)
  API: Vulkan v: 1.3.275 drivers: N/A surfaces: xcb,xlib,wayland

I have a second notebook with KDE Neon unstable running Wayland and there FF gets focus, clicking a link in TB.

The mystry deepens…

BTW Clicking links from Telegram brings FF to the front. So, it is some TB issue?

Opening links from Discover (app market) is also OK…

There are unresolved bug reports asking for the ability to raise windows to the foreground that I believe are waiting on two things a change in Wayland and a change in the DE’s policies.

When code calls an API that raises a Windows an error is printed to stdout saying it do not work, at least for Qt programs.

That you have it working is a very big surprise.